• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Threatened by boss final invoice will not be payed unless I finish documentation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threatened by boss final invoice will not be payed unless I finish documentation

Here we go. Been contracting for a client for 2 years, 8 months and in my final week in daily scrum meetings we (other team members too) have been saying to the team lead that I should be doing the handover documentation before I leave.

Despite this, our team lead has overruled this and assigned bugs to me instead, so with 1 day left the documentation remains outstanding.

Despite asking for clarification as to what exactly the type of documentation they want, I've yet to receive any guidance, so am starting the process as best I can.

However, after complaining and admittedly raising my voice in frustration at this situation, I've now been threatened that unless I complete the documentation my final invoice will be withheld. It has also been initimated that my ability to get a reference from them in future is at risk.

I'm certainly not worried about references, I have good working relationships with other managers within the organisation. But my current "boss" (for the last 6 months) and I are like oil and water and just don't get on.

So, I'll document as best I can, but I feel I'm being bullied here and am concerned how to cope with this threat.

I'll keep my head down for the last day and deliver some documentation and hope that they find it ok.

Has anyone else out there found themselves in the same situation and how to deal with it?

The funny thing is the boss who threatened me, her boss is her partner. So it's a bit difficult to escalate this one.
    I don't want to put my agent in the cross-fire either.

Thanks.

Escalate it to the boss - you're in business FFS.

And follow the excellent advice regarding payontime from SueEllen: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1351193
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Lol I'll start A family row maybe.

Thanks for the payment link. Useful indeed.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Escalate it to the boss - you're in business FFS.

And follow the excellent advice regarding payontime from SueEllen: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1351193

Comment

For starters you need to remain calm and in control when approaching your colleagues and not losing your temper. In any negotiation it's never a good idea to show your frustration or temper.

Gather all documentation you've prepared since you started contracting including archived corporate emails (remove any personal emails before doing so). Begin storing them in a structured fashion on a shared network drive. If there is sensitive information then ensure its protected and can only be seen by your manager and/or permanent colleagues so they can get access to them. Spend a couple of hours with a colleague to give them last minute information. Finally write an email titled as handover include the above steps you did for handover and send to your team lead, CC'ing his manager.

It's a small world so try not to burn your bridges on your last day!

Comment

Originally posted by rb621 View Post
          Here we go. Been contracting for a client for 2 years, 8 months and in my final week in daily scrum meetings we (other team members too) have been saying to the team lead that I should be doing the handover documentation before I leave.

Despite this, our team lead has overruled this and assigned bugs to me instead, so with 1 day left the documentation remains outstanding.

Despite asking for clarification as to what exactly the type of documentation they want, I've yet to receive any guidance, so am starting the process as best I can.

However, after complaining and admittedly raising my voice in frustration at this situation, I've now been threatened that unless I complete the documentation my final invoice will be withheld. It has also been initimated that my ability to get a reference from them in future is at risk. If you didn't opt out before you started, then (provided your time sheet is signed/authorised) this is nothing to worry about. If you did opt out, this is one lesson that should teach you to remain opted-in in the future.

I'm certainly not worried about references, I have good working relationships with other managers within the organisation. But my current "boss" (for the last 6 months) and I are like oil and water and just don't get on.

So, I'll document as best I can, but I feel I'm being bullied here and am concerned how to cope with this threat.

I'll keep my head down for the last day and deliver some documentation and hope that they find it ok.

Has anyone else out there found themselves in the same situation and how to deal with it?

The funny thing is the boss who threatened me, her boss is her partner. So it's a bit difficult to escalate this one.

Thanks.
          See the bold bit above.

Comment

Is it worth mentioning this with your agency? It's them who will not be getting paid so they will want to know.

Tell them you'll spend as long documenting as they want, but you're going to bill for it.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Id deffo be on to the agency about this one. Are you opted out as someone said?

References - WGAS about that?

Bit off for them to expect extra work done for free. Tell them you'll do it from home if they pay you for it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

However, after complaining and admittedly raising my voice in frustration at this situation, I've now been threatened that unless I complete the documentation my final invoice will be withheld. It has also been initimated that my ability to get a reference from them in future is at risk.

Thanks.
                Am I reading this right!?

They dont want you doing a handover despite your comments but on the last day, you made such a song and dance about it, they said 'right o, get it done in a day else we wont pay you for the week'?

Why didnt you just keep your trap shut, work the last day as they intended, get your timesheet signed and walk away?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Yes you are reading it wrong.

Agency is involved now and is supporting of the situation and I have the support of my fellow team members, although they are keeping their heads down for now.

But I finally got them to detail what exactly they want to see at 7pm last night so have submitted to them a document for review.

If they don't like it they want me to finish it at home next week. Then when it meets their requirement they'll sign off my months invoice.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Am I reading this right!?

They dont want you doing a handover despite your comments but on the last day, you made such a song and dance about it, they said 'right o, get it done in a day else we wont pay you for the week'?

Why didnt you just keep your trap shut, work the last day as they intended, get your timesheet signed and walk away?

Comment

Yes you are reading it wrong.

Agency is involved now and is supporting of the situation and I have the support of my fellow team members, although they are keeping their heads down for now.

But I finally got them to detail what exactly they want to see at 7pm last night so have submitted to them a document for review.

If they don't like it they want me to finish it at home next week. Then when it meets their requirement they'll sign off my months invoice.
                    I suspect they are going to screw and say they are not happy with it and no matter what you do it will be one thing after another.

Comment

Working...
                    X