• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More legal advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More legal advice please

To cut a long story short I sold something on ebay and they paid through paypal using some form of payment that can potentially bounce. I stupidly sent out the item. The payment bounced. They refuse to answer emails.

Right.

Using 192.com I've managed to address 68 envelopes, one to every house in their street. I have composed a letter stating that their cheque had bounced and they refuse to discuss the matter. Is this legal?

You've got their address, torch their children/cat/car/shed!

Comment

If they do not answer emails them do you honestly expect to then to respoond to your letter.

Looks like it's one to swallow and move on
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I know it's a principle thing, but how much money is at stake here? Unless it's hundreds just chalk it up to experience and move on. Your likelihood of being able to recover a small amount of money is virtually nil.

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
          Using 192.com I've managed to address 68 envelopes, one to every house in their street. I have composed a letter stating that their cheque had bounced and they refuse to discuss the matter. Is this legal?
          No it's not legal - for such correspondence you must be sure that the person lives at an address to send such information. You must also ensure that it is addressed correctly to the right person as it contains sensitive information.

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
            To cut a long story short I sold something on ebay and they paid through paypal using some form of payment that can potentially bounce. I stupidly sent out the item. The payment bounced. They refuse to answer emails.

Right.

Presumably you are sending the letters to all the poeple in their street with the purpose of embarassing the debtor.

Even though your story may be true you need to be able to prove it - otherwise you have libelled them. How can YOU prove that they have received, read and ignored the emails?

"But your honour, my spam filter must have eaten them".

"Oh yes, right. DGK, get your chequebook out".

Comment

Request their full contact information from ebay. If ebay are at fault for not recording them accurately then take ebay to small claims to return the money.

I did it and it never even made it to small claims. I recieved a cheque from eBay AG!
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Write it off

Go to a solicitor. He will tell you that you have a good case. He will then relieve you £120 for the consultation. He will the write to you for a further payment of £350 for future work.

It is cheaper to write off the debt.
                HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Always make sure that you have banked the funds - and it has cleared - before sending the item.

One sale I had took 2 weeks for paypal to clear a payment.
                  Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Working...
                  X