• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Cash Reserve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Cash Reserve

I am building up a cash 'reserve' in my LTD company. If I leave cash in the business and have my end of year accounts closed out, will the reserves be seen as profit and therefore be liable to tax (corporation tax) or can it sit there for a few years so that I can increase it for use as part of other business plans that I am reserving the cash for?

Appreciate any feedback.

Regards

Hi Harrison,

It can just sit there and accumulate. It only gets taxed once under corporation tax. Once it's taxes, it sits as retained profit in the company.

Comment

Hi Thanks for your reply; so to be sure, I wont pay any corporation tax on the 'retained profit' unless I try to take it out of the business via salary or dividend.

Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by harrison View Post
        Hi Thanks for your reply; so to be sure, I wont pay any corporation tax on the 'retained profit' unless I try to take it out of the business via salary or dividend.

Many Thanks
        Eeerm no, I suggest you read up a little or speak to an accountant before you get a nasty shock or do something silly.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Many Thanks
          As Craig said, you only pay corporation tax once.

If you decide not to pay a dividend in the future, instead drip feeding yourself a low salary, you will get corp tax relief as salary is classed as a business expense.

At least that's how i understand it.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Many Thanks
            You will corporation tax on any interest it ears, that's just trading income. You won't pay any corporation on extracting it, but you personally may need to pay some income tax depending on your overall position and how it is extracted.

Comment

Many Thanks
              You won't pay any corporation tax on the 'retained profit'. If you take it out of the business via salary or dividend then the income you receive is subject to income tax.

Comment

Many Thanks
                Ahh at least something to make us smile as the weekend starts....

Maybe a good time to point you to the new user guides to the right hand side and suggest you get the basics of your finances correct. You are responsible for your companies finances as a director so you need to know what is going on. Getting an account is going to get you out of a lot of trouble but even then you are still responsible. Read guides, get accountant, be safe.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 30 March 2012, 12:25.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Ahh at least something to make us smile as the weekend starts....
                  That was a lot gentler than I expected - must be the sunshine!
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
                    You won't pay any corporation tax on the 'retained profit'. If you take it out of the business via salary or dividend then the income you receive is subject to income tax.
                    Craig - I think the OP believes he will pay no tax AT ALL if the money remains in the company bank account and is only subject to CT once it is removed. Rather than understanding that VAT and CT will be due irrespective of what he does with the money and that withdrawing the money as salary or divs will alter the amount of income tax he pays in ADDITON to the CP and VAT.
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X