• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Telegraph is 3.5 years too late

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Telegraph is 3.5 years too late

http://forums.contractoruk.com/light...tml#post639032

Google threatens satnav with real-time traffic data - Telegraph

Folow NickFitz - he is THE man

I already get free traffic data on my Tom Tom, which doesn't rely on having a constant signal unlike when I've had to fall back to using google maps on my android phone

For maps to be useful on a phone, it needs to store the map data on the phone, not cache small amounts of it and keep downloading the rest
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Google is 13 years too late. Audi and Daimler Chrysler paid Nokia to develop a real-time telematics system in 1999.

Comment

Hmm, one good reason to leave location service on, as long as you can trust Google to use it responsibly. Google Earth also shows traffic speed data, amongst a zillion other things, and you can click on individual speed entries.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I already get free traffic data on my Tom Tom, which doesn't rely on having a constant signal unlike when I've had to fall back to using google maps on my android phone

For maps to be useful on a phone, it needs to store the map data on the phone, not cache small amounts of it and keep downloading the rest
          Tom Tom is good but over-priced.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Tom Tom is good but over-priced.
            You can gadgets that allow you to receive the traffic data on them without a subscription, even Tom Tom used to sell them

Just don't need to spend loads on their hardware, it's mostly marketing bollox
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Except millions of people read the Telegraph whereas 3 or 4 and 100 sockies read Nicks (or anyones) posts.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post

WHS

+ mine sounds like Homer Simpson (Annoying must change ASAP)

Good backup though if the Satnav goes down.
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Except millions of people read the Telegraph whereas 3 or 4 and 100 sockies read Nicks (or anyones) posts.
                  Furthermore, Telegraph readers don't care so long as the charabancs bringing day trippers to tour their country house don't startle the muntjacs

Comment

Can't say for traffic data, but there are free Android apps that store maps for off-line use, which you could navigate with assuming you have a GPS chip in your phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X