• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dublin

Flying there on Thursday and staying until Sunday evening and having never been before whats to see and do as I'm sure plenty here have been? Have been checking out the tourist information and other guides so I do have some knowledge (will be doing the Guinness brewery) but personal recommendations are quite often much better. Staying right in the center near St.Stephans Green so thats an advantage but don't get in until 23:00 and apparently there is no train from the airport!
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Visited last year. Going the same way as other popular weekend destinations in Europe; hard drugs and guns becoming a major problem. I’d avoid O'Connell Street late on.

HTH
    one day at a time

Comment

There's not much to do other than drink, we had a day out at the Curragh which was good laugh.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        There's not much to do other than drink, we had a day out at the Curragh which was good laugh.
        Which isn't in Dublin, it's in Kildare and you wouldn't want to walk there!

Did you see Braveheart?

Comment

Johnny Foxes.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Go and find Phil Lynott's grave. I went over there on a jolly on my bike last year and that was one the things I meant to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              Go and find Phil Lynott's grave. I went over there on a jolly on my bike last year and that was one the things I meant to do.
              Bet he never thought when he was growing up, come 2012, that many Dubliners would have Afro's too.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Johnny Foxes.
                I was going to say the exact same thing. Got the T shirt! In another thread discussing food, that is where I had swordfish in Ireland, yummy! A must, for anyone going to dublin/ireland is to go to a hooley night. One of the best experiences you cant find anywhere else. A fantastic dinner while listening to great music and sitting alongside people from all over the globe laughing and chatting with strangers and then as the food disappears and more booze flows, a great night of dancing and fun.

NB: If you smoke, pick up a carton of Majors. Best cigs I have ever tasted and Ive tasted quite a few in my time. Great after a meal. If you dont smoke, feel free to pick me up a carton and I'll reimburse you

If you're in to walking and the countryside, places like blessington have hosted international golf and have stunning lakes and hikes. Glendalough is lovely as well.

The horsie races are great and I believe there are some on dublin beaches annually, I dont know if this coincides with your trip.

The guiness factory IMHO is a bit overrated. There is a great pub, just off the ferry, taking the road south around the coast a few miles away, forget the name, a lovely place though.

Kilmainham Gaol is just a bus ride out of the city centre. Not as impressive as alcatraz but an interesting old prison.

If you're interested in history, trinity college is a good visit which I think houses the book of kells.

If you arent renting a car, you are stuck to just dublins shopping and drinking. However if you can rent a car, you can visit many places very easily including the zoo and museums.

Comment

No one mentioning Copper Face Jacks?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Johnny Foxes.
                    great tip for sea food if thats the one up the mountain.

The Kilmainham Gaol is a great tour - if you like history and seeing which film you might have seen parts of it in.

Comment

Working...
                    X