• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a contract in Gibraltar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a contract in Gibraltar

Afternoon all,

I have done a search on this but found nothing that can help. Also googled about but the information is all a bit hazy...

I may be taking a 6 month contract in Gibraltar but I'm not sure how it will work for income tax/corporation tax etc. If I am billing my UK agency (and the agency bills the client) will it be as if I am in the UK in terms of taxation etc?

I will be classed as a non-resident.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't help here but just out of interest what are the rates like out there?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This one is up to £400/day.

But the cost of living is cheap and the way of life very appealing - £400/day to live in Spain for 6 months? Yes please!

Comment

Originally posted by GB2408 View Post
        Afternoon all,
        I may be taking a 6 month contract in Gibraltar but I'm not sure how it will work for income tax/corporation tax etc.
        Thanks in advance.
        Lucky you! Can you take me with ?
        If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

This one is up to £400/day.

But the cost of living is cheap and the way of life very appealing - £400/day to live in Spain for 6 months? Yes please!
          Not a bad rate at all, I have friends trying to get permie work in Gib that live in Spain and they were saying many co.s take the p1ss for the very reasons your mention.

The passport area near the airport is a bloody bitch to get through if you are driving everyday though.

Also you can get yourself some top notch accomodation with 1000's of empty properties desperate for lets between Gib and Estapona (about 30 mins drive), or you could live the contractor lifestyle in Puerto Banus.

If you get it I bet your next question is can you claim rent on a flat as expenses which always sparks a debate.

Comment

Afternoon all,

I have done a search on this but found nothing that can help. Also googled about but the information is all a bit hazy...

I may be taking a 6 month contract in Gibraltar but I'm not sure how it will work for income tax/corporation tax etc. If I am billing my UK agency (and the agency bills the client) will it be as if I am in the UK in terms of taxation etc?

I will be classed as a non-resident.

Thanks in advance.
            Victor Chandler? Its pretty tulip really. There's hardly anywhere to go the place is so small. As regards tax etc, since you will not be outside the UK for the requisite period (which is more than about 275 days continuously) all your income will be treated as earnt in the UK.

Unless there is a DTA in existence and Gib has a lower taxation rate your 6 months income will be taxed the same as if it had been earnt here.
            Last edited by BolshieBastard; 2 April 2012, 18:08. Reason: Clarifying period outside UK
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

At least there's no VAT or something like this which will save a few bob. Flats in Gib are dead expensive, get something in la linea and a scooter that's what most do.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                At least there's no VAT or something like this which will save a few bob. Flats in Gib are dead expensive, get something in la linea and a scooter that's what most do.
                Great advice that is

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Victor Chandler? Its pretty tulip really. There's hardly anywhere to go the place is so small. As regards tax etc, since you will not be outside the UK for the requisite period (which is more than about 275 days continuously) all your income will be treated as earnt in the UK.

Unless there is a DTA in existence and Gib has a lower taxation rate your 6 months income will be taxed the same as if it had been earnt here.
                  Thanks for the information, that's what I needed to know. Makes life very simple

It isn't Victor Chandler no. There are a bunch of the big bookies over there, but the bulk of them just have datacenters and the IT is controlled in the UK. That may change soon though due to the budget announcement last week that profits on gambling is to be taxed at point of consumption (I.E. If you're a punter in the UK and use Betfair, they can't escape the UK tax by processing the payment in Gib).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Not a bad rate at all, I have friends trying to get permie work in Gib that live in Spain and they were saying many co.s take the p1ss for the very reasons your mention.

The passport area near the airport is a bloody bitch to get through if you are driving everyday though.

Also you can get yourself some top notch accomodation with 1000's of empty properties desperate for lets between Gib and Estapona (about 30 mins drive), or you could live the contractor lifestyle in Puerto Banus.

If you get it I bet your next question is can you claim rent on a flat as expenses which always sparks a debate.
                    Yes I've looked into accommodation nearby, I believe a few of the guys out there live in Spain, and the cycle down for the ferry across. I have friends in Puerto Banus and I could get a very nice villa for the same price as a good apartment, but that's a bit of a drive. Initially I believe I have the option of free accommodation.

That is if I get the role, I'm getting my hopes up here! I just wanted to understand the tax laws etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X