• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any tips on getting to sleep?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on getting to sleep?

I was in bed tonight at 8:30pm - about the same as usual. Usually I sleep straight through until 5am or so.

Tonight I woke up 10:30pm - itching like hell. I must de-flea that f**king cat again. After antihistamine cream I have stopped itching - but am wide awake and still cannot sleep.

I should be tired - I jogged 4.5 miles this morning at 5am and have spent most of the day with the kids including taking them to lunch, twice to the patk and took eldest son up to MI5/MI6 to hand in his job application. And I bought a ball-bearing gun in case the burglars try to get into the house. And a baseball bat.

I am off alcohol in training for my iron man and I had sex this morning so thats it for a frew days (I am nearly 50).

Mrs BP wants me to take a sleeping pill but I hate them.

Any advice?

BTW does anyone post at this time of night. If you are lurking please pop in to say hi. And call me Wilmslow.

BP

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I was in bed tonight at 8:30pm - about the same as usual. Usually I sleep straight through until 5am or so.

Tonight I woke up 10:30pm - itching like hell. I must de-flea that f**king cat again. After antihistamine cream I have stopped itching - but am wide awake and still cannot sleep.

I should be tired - I jogged 4.5 miles this morning at 5am and have spent most of the day with the kids including taking them to lunch, twice to the patk and took eldest son up to MI5/MI6 to hand in his job application. And I bought a ball-bearing gun in case the burglars try to get into the house. And a baseball bat.

I am off alcohol in training for my iron man and I had sex this morning so thats it for a frew days (I am nearly 50).

Mrs BP wants me to take a sleeping pill but I hate them.

Any advice?

BTW does anyone post at this time of night. If you are lurking please pop in to say hi. And call me Wilmslow.

BP
    I like the baseball bat idea get Mrs BP to crack it on your noggin and Bobs your Aunties other half
    HTH

PS WIIIIIIILLLLLLMSLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Comment

Originally posted by ZuiderZee View Post
      I like the baseball bat idea get Mrs BP to crack it on your noggin and Bobs your Aunties other half
      HTH

PS WIIIIIIILLLLLLMSLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
      I am pleased she is in bed. She thinks I need some sense drumming into me....

Comment

Allo Wilmsy...

1. Clearly you're exercising enough, so that's that box ticked.
        2. Have you eaten? Sometimes if you're still feeling hungry, it can be hard to nod off. Try some bread, it's a natural sleep aid.
        3. Drinking anything with caffeine in after about 5pm? That could be a problem.
        4. Try valerian tea, or chamomile.
        5. Some sleeping pills are simply antihistamines, and as harmless as the cream you just used.
        6. Got any night nurse or benylins kicking about? Although it does give you a hangover.
        7. Some people find that paracetamol aids sleep. Don't take it with the night nurse.
        8. It could be the adrenaline from having been burgled recently... it does happen. Read a really boring book for a while.
        9. Bright screens from a laptop or phone can wake you up, so bugger off and go back to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          Allo Wilmsy...

1. Clearly you're exercising enough, so that's that box ticked.
          2. Have you eaten? Sometimes if you're still feeling hungry, it can be hard to nod off. Try some bread, it's a natural sleep aid.
          3. Drinking anything with caffeine in after about 5pm? That could be a problem.
          4. Try valerian tea, or chamomile.
          5. Some sleeping pills are simply antihistamines, and as harmless as the cream you just used.
          6. Got any night nurse or benylins kicking about? Although it does give you a hangover.
          7. Some people find that paracetamol aids sleep. Don't take it with the night nurse.
          8. It could be the adrenaline from having been burgled recently... it does happen. Read a really boring book for a while.
          9. Bright screens from a laptop or phone can wake you up, so bugger off and go back to bed.
          Good to see the mods operate 24/7 just in case I should get bored and start a thread attacking <mod snip>.

I have eaten - in fact I am not sure that I have not eaten too much sugary food. At the moment I am struggling to pack in the alories for all my exercise. Saturday was a 120 miles cycle and I want to do the same in Thursday. That takes about 5000 calories. But when I think about it I have eaten way way more some nights with no issues.

I gave up coffee in 2007 and tea a year ago.

I am going to take some benalyin(not non-drowsy!) and a paracetamol now.

I think you are right about adrenalin. But the reason is a bit disgusting so stop reading now if you are sensitive. My daughter has a friend over for a sleepover. When I came downstairs upon waking up the toilet stank. There was poo all round the bowl and at the bottom of the bowl. Took me 6 flushes plus hard scrubbing to get rid of it all before dosing it in bleach. Mrs BP had a friend over the other day and she did similar - aren't people toliet trained these days?

I bet you are right about the screen - maybe I hould counter the effects by reading my tpd posts?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Bright screens from a laptop or phone can wake you up, so bugger off and go back to bed.
            OTOH CUK is often very soporific.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Make sure the benylin doesn't have caffeine in to make it non drowsy!! Also that it doesn't also contain paracetamol if you're taking that as well. Turn the brightness right down on your monitor, and read the first timers' guides.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                My daughter has a friend over for a sleepover.
                Tossing and turning are you?

Discalimer: I have no idea how old your daughter/her friend is so this might be inappropriate

Comment

Never try to sleep until you're tired, I always sleep
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by ZuiderZee View Post
                    Discalimer: I have no idea how old your daughter/her friend is so this might be inappropriate
                    Indeed. My daughter is only 10. I thought when I was younger that one advantage of have a daughter is that when she becomes 16 she would invite all her friends round. Now I find the prospect rather weird. I suspect this is due to being old and finding attraction to women more to do with personality than looks. I look back fondly on my younger days and being able to treat women as objects rather than people.

Comment

Working...
                    X