• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

threaded: whats to do in Copenhagen ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

threaded: whats to do in Copenhagen ?

This one is for threaded really (as I gather you are currently in Copenhagen campaigning for cyclist's rights), unless anyone else has any experience in this matter (Copenhagen, not cyclists).

We are going to CPH for a long weekend in June. We are staying in the Maritime Hotel (in the harbour area I think ??) - knowing my luck its probably a dump ?
    Is it a good location though ?

Anything you can recommend to do ? Especially for a 5 year old (Jake) - Tivolli Gardens is on the agenda, anything else ?

Whats the best way to get from the airport to town ? Taxi ?, or train to City Centre (near Tivolli right ?), then taxi ?

Cheers

JD in "I'm a bloody tourist and everyone better speak English" mode !

cyclists'
    everyone in Scandinavia speaks anglais
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Good hotel in a nice location. Depending on how many bags you're carrying and if it's a pushchair with decent wheels then I'd get the train from the airport to Copenhagen and then walk. It's a fair walk mind you, about 40 minutes, but really nice, you'd be going down Strøget. Yet you could get a taxi from the station, there are always plenty.

Most people can speak English, although French works best on the buses and the taxis are generally Farsi or something completely incomprehensible, although I did meet a lad from Bradford one time.

There always seems something entertaining for kids on Strøget. There is also Bakken which is more a fun fair than Tivoli in a big park called Dyrehaven. There's a regular s-train up there (letter H). You're staying relatively close to Nyhavn so you could go on a boat trip and kids seem to enjoy the ride, looking at all the sail boats, trying to touch the underneath of bridges etc.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Cross reference this similar thread also, Jake's Daddy...

Things to do in Copenhagen

Comment

And that reminds me. You can also take the train to Roskilde and then a long walk down to Vikingskibsmuseet kids love that they can get all dressed up like what they think Vikings dressed like (although IMHO I think they dressed better) make things, stab and chop each others fingers off, that kind of thing. There are regular guided tours in Danish, English and German and the tour guides really know their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Cross reference this similar thread also, Jake's Daddy...

Things to do in Copenhagen
            Bloody hell LB - how did I miss that thread, it was only last week ! God, I must be blind, or not looking properly (but then CUK is not exactly the first place I would look for tourist information !)

Thanks for the info threaded. Bakken looks good (and it especially appeals to me right now as it reminds be of Bacon and I'm getting hungry. (Bakken / Bacon / Denmark .... oh never mind !))
            Think we will take the taxi from the station to the hotel as a) I carry all the bags !, and b) Jakes Mummy will struggle with a 40min walk (she uses crutches to walk - hence I carry the bags !)

Comment

copenhagen

you can do a boating trip along the canals, visit the danish kings palace and the gardens.
              also, you can go to rokskilde (50 km), there is drakar museum there

Comment

Jakes Dad: Actually it is really quite hard to find what we know of as "Danish Bacon" in Denmark, reality is they export it all and the Danes don't eat it. My friendly local butcher will cut it for me when I have guests over from England.

As for pies, mights as well give up, the Danes don't even have a word for "pork pie". In fact, just to check, I had a tame Dane have a look at a picture of a pork pie and she's run off to throw up.

Comment

I think there's a place near Copengahen called Christiania? It's a time-warp place for hippies. You could go along there, sample the erm, tobacco, and basically remind yourself you're glad you're not a hippie.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Swamp thing: Not been myself, but IARI all the drug dealers have been kicked out of "pusher street", they still make some interesting bicycles there though, and is a useful source of pre-metric bricks.

Comment

Working...
                    X