• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying away from home - might be coming around to the idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying away from home - might be coming around to the idea

Never been too keen on the old mon-fri thing but I must admit I'm coming around to the idea recently.

No long drive home, no-one to hassle you... LOL.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I'd suggest you have a bit of a sit down and a chat with Mrs PC.

will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      will follow.
      It did in my world!!
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Its not that its just I've always been so dead against working away that I'm beginning to wonder if its just less hassle to stay away sometimes rather than break your balls trying to get home every night.....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Its not that its just I've always been so dead against working away that I'm beginning to wonder if its just less hassle to stay away sometimes rather than break your balls trying to get home every night.....
          This would be true if there was only you to consider... which there isn't.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What's her name then?

Comment

My first contract involved a 3 hour drive Monday morning and Friday evening. ( Eventually got to work from home 2 days per week, which was nice ). Second contract was 3.5 hours drive each way, but managed mon-thursday.

Then I had a year of 45 min daily commute each way, which was ok. Followed by 1.5 hours drive each way daily commute for two years which wasn't so good.

Three months of very early flight monday morning and late flight Friday evening. Awful.

18 months of a contract two hours away - out mon, back wed, out thu, back friday. That was ok.

Currently enjoying 6th year of 20 minutes door to door, with ten min on the tram.

If the family need feeding, and that entails working from home, then that's what I do.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This would be true if there was only you to consider... which there isn't.
                To be fair, the Mrs is OK if I ever have to work away....

Comment

As is mine. Unfortunately it's me that dislikes me being away. What's the point of going for the larger rates if I miss the kids growing up in the process?
                  Luckily I'm in a contract at the moment that allows me to work from home for 2 or 3 days a week and i leave at lunchtime on the day I go home.
                  Without that I wouldn't have signed.

Without a family to think abut I'd be away without any issues
                  Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

"if you ever" is different to "3 or 4 nights per week"...
                    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                    X