• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

E-Petition: Migrate all government IT to Linux based systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Petition: Migrate all government IT to Linux based systems

Found this on the e-petitions website:

Migrate all government IT to Linux based systems - e-petitions

I have signed it and I invite all of you to do so, even if you don't work with Linux and you think this could a threat to your career. If the public administration migrated all IT systems to Linux (which they promised to so many years ago under Labour) this country would save a lot of money, which could be reinvested into implementing local IT solutions, preventing the scandalous offshoring of IT hobs and handling of personal data to disreputable agencies abroad.

There's a considerable number of young IT graduates that would rather accept modest wages to work in open source than be sent to work for free (at taxpayers' cost) at Te-scum.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

I have just set up an e-petition stating that everything should be migrated to Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.

Nomadd.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      Found this on the e-petitions website:

I have signed it and I invite all of you to do so, even if you don't work with Linux and you think this could a threat to your career. If the public administration migrated all IT systems to Linux (which they promised to so many years ago under Labour) this country would save a lot of money, which could be reinvested into implementing local IT solutions, preventing the scandalous offshoring of IT hobs and handling of personal data to disreputable agencies abroad.

There's a considerable number of young IT graduates that would rather accept modest wages to work in open source than be sent to work for free (at taxpayers' cost) at Te-scum.
      What a stupid suggestion.

Comment

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
        Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          What a stupid suggestion.
          So worth a vote then?

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

[QUOTE=petergriffin;1519791]Found this on the e-petitions website:

I am 100% for this. Various European government departments have moved to Linux. The same for Open Office. It is a pointless waste of money handing over millions to Microsoft when the majority of Office users just use the most simple features of MS Office.

The same can be said with overpriced email systems.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Where I work the majority of desktop systems (a lot), all laptops and all external systems ( a heck of a lot) are all Ubuntu Linux (we migrated from RedHat last year) and so is Munich
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Linux operating systems have fully matured and are used by some of the largest institutions and governments in the world. Coming with no licesnsing costs, following initial migration costs and training costs the savings would be substantial.
                I imagine the cost of "initial migration" would make the £12bn for NPfIT seem insignificant by the time they select one (or more) of the usual suspects to implement such a migration, unless AtW wants to step up to the plate and put his money where his mouth is?

As it would likely involve purchasing new hardware and taking up floor space (thus power & cooling costs increase) whilst it's all being developed/migrated by an army of technical consultants/managing consultants/project managers costing an arm and a leg per day etc

Also, no licensing? What about the paid for support & other vendor "add-ons" such a RHEL Satellite Server to manage your estate, which isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination? (not suggesting they use RHEL, just an example).

What about the virtualization layer? What would they use? Might be showing my ignorance on the subject here but isnt VMWare really the only viable option on intel/amd kit? Or if not virtualized, they'd need an inordinate amount of kit & floorspace and infrastructure to support physical machines and therefore people to manage it.

Linux certainly has a place, but I don't think it's anywhere near viable enough to suggest they can replace the whole of gov.uk IT infrastructure with it....It's a tulip idea imo.
                Last edited by Mr.Whippy; 4 April 2012, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                  I imagine the cost of "initial migration" would make the £12bn for NPfIT seem insignificant by the time they select one (or more) of the usual suspects to implement such a migration, unless AtW wants to step up to the plate and put his money where his mouth is?

As it would likely involve purchasing new hardware and taking up floor space (thus power & cooling costs increase) whilst it's all being developed/migrated by an army of technical consultants/managing consultants/project managers costing an arm and a leg per day etc

Also, no licensing? What about the paid for support & other vendor "add-ons" such a RHEL Satellite Server to manage your estate, which isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination? (not suggesting they use RHEL, just an example).

What about the virtualization layer? What would they use? Might be showing my ignorance on the subject here but isnt VMWare really the only viable option on intel/amd kit? Or if not virtualized, they'd need an inordinate amount of kit & floorspace and infrastructure to support physical machines and therefore people to manage it.

Linux certainly has a place, but I don't think it's anywhere near viable enough to suggest they can replace the whole of gov.uk IT infrastructure with it....It's a tulip idea imo.
                  The last thing I wrote for a certain customer in Cheltenham runs under Linux... And Solaris... And Windoze...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                    My last project was moving a lot of applications from Windows servers onto zLinux due to the extremely high costs of Windows software and hardware including both inhouse and remote support. This was for possibly the largest German government department going and it works perfectly well and is a darn sight cheaper. Although that is server based but as per my last posting, we have over 5000 Linux desktop users and costs have been dramatically reduced...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X