• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding Wife into company who already in Emploment with another

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Wife into company who already in Emploment with another

I'm new to the contracting world, just 8 month running..
    I wish to include my wife to look after my Limited company admin tasks.But she is already working as a fulltime permi role with another company between 9am-5pm, as my wife visa reneval is abt to due in 8 months ,so she needs to have more Gross salary

Pls advise me if it legal and possible to provide employment to my wife in my Ltd company as part time job after 5pm,

Do she need to inform her present employer abt this part time job plan,also should i include her as a share holder to provide employment

seeking any advises & suggestions pls

sarva

Originally posted by sarva81 View Post
    Pls advise me if it legal and possible to provide employment to my wife in my Ltd company as part time job after 5pm,
    Yes, it's legal and possible. If, however, you are paying for something that she doesn't do, or you are paying something way over the odds, then there's a chance that you would fall foul of the Ramsay principle. Make sure you document what she is doing, and how much you are paying her for. Don't use it as a tax dodge or a scam to try and get a visa.

Do she need to inform her present employer abt this part time job plan
    Possibly - what does her contract with her employer say?

,also should i include her as a share holder to provide employment
    You could, but I'd question why you would bother. You don't seem to understand the difference between being an employee and a share holder - I have shares in a number of companies but don't work for most of them. What benefits are you hoping to gain by having her as a shareholder? How are you planning to distribute the shares to her? Are you going to have the same class of share? If you pay her a dividend, will that impact the tax band that she is in?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm new to the contracting world, just 8 month running..
      I wish to include my wife to look after my Limited company admin tasks.But she is already working as a fulltime permi role with another company between 9am-5pm, as my wife visa reneval is abt to due in 8 months ,so she needs to have more Gross salary

Do she need to inform her present employer abt this part time job plan,also should i include her as a share holder to provide employment

sarva
      Firstly, why does she need to earn more gross Salary in order to get a Visa renewal? Is her existing employer actually paying her? Which begs the question, are you offering her employment or making her a shareholder?

Secondly, it is legal for you to employ her, however, she will need to check her contract with her existing employer as it may state something about working for another company at the same time (especially a competitor or an organisation that could bring her employer into disrepute).

Thirdly, You may want to ask your Accountant as to what is the best way to pay your wife.

Fourthly, If HMRC investigate, would you be able to prove what work she has performed for the company?

Finally, posting this type of comment in the general forum will only cause people to make nasty comments that may cause offense.

Edit: What TF said.
      Last edited by pmeswani; 4 April 2012, 15:44.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I have shares in a number of companies but don't work for most of them.
        It's debatable whether I do any work for my own one

Comment

OH Lordy!! Spot the sockie.

Seems ppl have taken Cojak's advice and gone to play in general

Comment

sarva
            Check with a good divorce lawyer first.

Comment

What visa is she on, Tier one dependant?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                What visa is she on, Tier one dependant?
                This one:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  comment in the general forum will only cause people to make nasty comments that may cause offense.
                  one day at a time

Comment

Well looking at the OP's other posts seems she's either T1 dependant or on her own T1, if she's dep she doesn't need to show any earnings, but as the OP has said, her visa is up for renewal so she must be on her own T1, if she's on a T2 she can't work for the OP's company.

Just call me Mr UKBA...

Comment

Working...
                    X