• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google unveils Project Glass augmented reality eyewear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google unveils Project Glass augmented reality eyewear

BBC News - Google unveils Project Glass augmented reality eyewear

As presbyopia sets in I have started lifting my bins to read small print, are these going to work for me?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Google Glasses: A New Way to Hurt Yourself (parody of Google's Project Glass)
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Isn't reality bad enough already?

Comment

William Gibson bang on the money again...

Amazon.com: Virtual Light (9780553566062): William Gibson: Books

Actually I think I prefer this trilogy to the Neuromancer one.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Isn't reality bad enough already?
          Good point, I was wondering around Bute park in Cardiff playing with 'Layer' when I opened the 'crime spot' layer at the top of the popular list.

I headed back to the office.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Good point, I was wondering around Bute park in Cardiff playing with 'Layer' when I opened the 'crime spot' layer at the top of the popular list.

I headed back to the office.
            The eyewear should certainly stream location based risk factors.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              BBC News - Google unveils Project Glass augmented reality eyewear

As presbyopia sets in I have started lifting my bins to read small print, are these going to work for me?
              Hardly anyone with normal eyesight would be able to focus for long at 1cm, so the glasses must have some kind of rudimentary focussing built in already (set to infinity likely). It would be interesting to know how they have done this, though it may be that all they have done so far is the funky design, and left the physics for later "...stressing that the glasses were a concept far from being brought to market".

Comment

"There are huge opportunities for tailored advertising with augmented reality systems - especially if they have in-built GPS location tracking," he said.

"The monetisation opportunities would be enormous - but there are still big issues involved with shrinking the technology and making the computer that receives and processes the data truly portable."
                Good to see they have their priorities right.

I think the idea of having a flashing banner along the top of my vision telling me exactly how far the nearest McDs is would be a right PITA.

Comment

"I don't know what happened, officer. All of a sudden I had a bunch of pop-up ads in my Google Glasses. Next thing I know I'm in a ditch."
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

All the press reports I've seen about this seem to have been written in the belief that Google actually have these glasses as a working thing. They clearly haven't bothered reading as far as the fourth sentence of Google's announcement (my emphases):
                    ...we took a few design photos to show what this technology could look like and created a video to demonstrate what it might enable you to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X