• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golf Club Fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Club Fees

WTF??? Just had an email from my local club. Now bearing in mind I'm only looking at giving the game a go, and maybe taking it up later in the year, the membership fees are stupid!

£900pa + £500 joining fee.

Now taking in account this is Rochdale I live in, home of immigrants and unemployed, is it any wonder their membership numbers are down??/
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Most round by me have dropped the joining fee but the annual charge is not far off that.

Not sure it's worth it for the 3 rounds you're likely to get this summer.

I just use my local club's driving range which is open to the public.

Edit: Plus £15 for 30min lesson with the club pro and a pound for a bucket of balls

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      WTF??? Just had an email from my local club. Now bearing in mind I'm only looking at giving the game a go, and maybe taking it up later in the year, the membership fees are stupid!

Now taking in account this is Rochdale I live in, home of immigrants and unemployed, is it any wonder their membership numbers are down??/
      When you join your Golf Club are you becoming a shareowner?

Some do, some don't.

TBH, that's not bad. Try joining "Mere", "Wentworth" or "Loch Lomond"...

Comment

Playing in the SE, my club was 1500 a year. Struggled to get a game a week, which is a lot of dosh. If you are starting to give the game a go, use a local par 3 9 hole, which would be about a tenner a pop, and see if you can control a ball with your clubs first.

Its not for everyone.

If you find you can, and like playing, then's the time to think about joining a club.

If you simply must, tell them the joining fee's a showstopper and most will get rid of it, mine did.

Comment

That's not bad, a tad cheaper than the two clubs closest to me in Bucks.

There's a club a few miles away in Ashridge Forest that charges a fair bit more, and I was at Moor Park last year where I was told annual membership is well over £2000 (and that might not even be 7-day).

Maintaning a golf course is not cheap, but £900 spread over (say) a round a week is under 20 quid a go, very reasonable.

Comment

Cheaper to fly out to Spain and play
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's to keep the riff raff out - seems it works....
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                It's to keep the riff raff out - seems it works....
                Was thinking of walking up later today (it's about 1/2 mile) in my trackies and hoodie!! I bet they wouldnt let me through the door!!!
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

If that is Rochdale Gof Club then times are hard - it used to have a 7 year waiting list and loads joined another club up the road while they waited to be deemed fit to join.
                  It also used to have a men-only entrance at the front !!

Comment

Surely there's a public course nearby. If you want to give the game a go, then there's no point going into a golf club, you need to learn how to play first. It's normal for Saturday to be reserved for competitions and you need a handicap. If you're a bad player you'll be constantly having to let everyone through which isn't much fun, you'll be spending most of your time looking for golf balls and watching good players walk past you "in humiliation" ....

Nah just go to the driving range and play on the public courses where people don't mind you taking your time. Cost you a fraction of the private fees. A private golf club is really for keen good amateurs who want to play regularly in competitions on a decent course.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X