• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entry level boat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry level boat

So, following recent ops and injuries, and in an effort to move to a less dangerous hobby (currently climbing and kayaking), I'm thinking of buying a yacht.

Would this make a good first boat? Seal 28 for Sale - £14,000, Located River Dart

Not saying i want to go yachting round the French coast, but it could easily be a future plan. Overnight stays while wandering the Welsh shoreline is also part of the current plan. Suggestions?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Suggestions?
    Something in your price range:

Comment

See what you have got left after your imminent bench time....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So, following recent ops and injuries, and in an effort to move to a less dangerous hobby (currently climbing and kayaking), I'm thinking of buying a yacht.

Would this make a good first boat? Seal 28 for Sale - £14,000, Located River Dart

Not saying i want to go yachting round the French coast, but it could easily be a future plan. Overnight stays while wandering the Welsh shoreline is also part of the current plan. Suggestions?
        I would think it's a bit big to learn on, you will also need to be a certified as competent by a sailing club in order to enter France therefore I suggest you become a member.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I would think it's a bit big to learn on, you will also need to be a certified as competent by a sailing club in order to enter France therefore I suggest you become a member.
          If you want to go to France, an ICC is the requirement. Doesn't take long and the courses are of course enjoyable because you are sailing.

If you are already a day skipper, you can convert it to ICC free of charge within a certain period from qualifying (I can't remember how long).

The RYA website will give you all the info.

BTW, the boat looks pretty good and dependant upon your abilities certainly would not be too big to start on. The first course I did was on a 40 footer and within 4 months I was chartering that size or bigger in the Ionian and BVI. Great fun, would recommend it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Don't agree with that. 27/28 ish is fine to learn on. In fact, in a year, you'll want a bigger one. I leaned on a Moody 33 and it was pretty easy to handle, even as a beginner. My advice would be get the biggest you can afford.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Sailing is just as dangerous as kayaking. My great uncle actually died sailing/moored up.

If you want a safe hobby, stick to land sports like tennis or golf. Although golf players can be killed by errant golf balls and lightning strikes.

Instead, this is my suggestion:

Comment

So, following recent ops and injuries, and in an effort to move to a less dangerous hobby ...currently climbing
                Surely just not not falling would cure all your problems?
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  Surely just not not falling would cure all your problems?
                  As a climber, I can tell you that the fall is not the problem - it's the sudden stop at the bottom that usually has repercussions

Comment

... I'm thinking of buying a yacht.
                    First try standing in a cold shower for several hours tearing up £20 notes. If you don't enjoy that, a yacht isn't for you
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X