• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS - Drive speed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS - Drive speed

I get slow transfer speeds, around 8mbs. Is this because of the RAID 1 config?

Its only annoying while setting up and transferring approx 500gb to the NAS from different PCs. Can i turn RAID 1 off (or even remove the RAID 1 drive), copy everything at a quicker speed, then put the drive back in for it to rebuild and catch up?

That make sense?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

RAID 1 should be fast even in software mode.

It's either connections or some disk problem ...

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
      I get slow transfer speeds, around 8mbs. Is this because of the RAID 1 config?

Its only annoying while setting up and transferring approx 500gb to the NAS from different PCs. Can i turn RAID 1 off (or even remove the RAID 1 drive), copy everything at a quicker speed, then put the drive back in for it to rebuild and catch up?

That make sense?
      Does it not have a USB port on it? I used to use an external USB drive and shanks' pony to transfer large amounts of stuff from a PC to my RAID NAS.

Turning off RAID will not speed it up massively IMO and it'll take a while to rebuild that array.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        RAID 1 should be fast even in software mode.
        Not on a cheap NAS though (which I guess he's using), 8MB sounds pretty right me when compared to what I used to get on my NAS, even over gigabit LAN, it'd run at 14MB write on a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Not on a cheap NAS though (which I guess he's using), 8MB sounds pretty right me when compared to what I used to get on my NAS, even over gigabit LAN, it'd run at 14MB write on a good day.
          It cost £60 + Hdd's Not a problem, I'll just line it up overnight and let it run, then finish over the weekend. Thanks tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            Not on a cheap NAS though (which I guess he's using)
            I had fairly cheap NAS max out on 60 MB/sec in RAID 5 (much more calculation intensive than RAID 1) and good stuff gives 800-1000 MB/sec, so 8 MB/sec is way too low - unless it runs on USB 1 speed...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I had fairly cheap NAS max out on 60 MB/sec in RAID 5 (much more calculation intensive than RAID 1) and good stuff gives 800-1000 MB/sec, so 8 MB/sec is way too low - unless it runs on USB 1 speed...
              It's RJ45 so only limit is disk speed (SATA2) I assume... Only have option of RAID 1, JBOD and RAID 0. I want mirrored disks so I dont lose the data / backed up. It's nearly all finished transferring now, so its not a problem. Altho streaming a video in 1080p from NAS, via PC (PS3MediaServer) to PS3 stuttered, but running in TVersity, it's fine. Could be network speed.

Will check it out later as NAS is cable to Wireless AP (Which is cable to router which is DHCP server), but PC and PS3 are direct to router. Really cant see that causing an issue with speed though as all are hardwired and the AP should act as a hub surely...

Comment

I have a Buffalo NAS which was very slow transferring files till I changed the ethernet frame size to jumbo (4,102 bytes), which helped.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

I'm always wary of mirroring, chances are if the data on one side gets deleted/corrupted it will on the mirror too. The only benefit I see is if the disk totally craps out, and I'd prefer off-site backup to allay that fear.

I'd stripe 'em for speed and sync one-way to Crashplan

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                    It's RJ45 so only limit is disk speed (SATA2) I assume... Only have option of RAID 1, JBOD and RAID 0. I want mirrored disks so I dont lose the data / backed up. It's nearly all finished transferring now, so its not a problem. Altho streaming a video in 1080p from NAS, via PC (PS3MediaServer) to PS3 stuttered, but running in TVersity, it's fine. Could be network speed.

Will check it out later as NAS is cable to Wireless AP (Which is cable to router which is DHCP server), but PC and PS3 are direct to router. Really cant see that causing an issue with speed though as all are hardwired and the AP should act as a hub surely...
                    Depends. Are we talking 100Mbit network or gigabit LAN? 100Mb will top out at ~12MB/s.

Comment

Working...
                    X