• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, designer of Porsche 911 dies aged 76

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, designer of Porsche 911 dies aged 76

Professor Porsche was the creative brain behind the one of the world's most iconic sports cars which went on sale in 1963.

Despite being nearly 50 years old, the 911's design has only ever evolved and is still unmistakable from the original model.

A statement from the German company confirmed Professor Porsche, grandson of company founder Ferdinand Porsche, had passed away in Salzburg on Thursday aged 76.

The German designer, nicknamed Butzi, joined the family company in 1956 where he worked in the technical design department.

In 1962 he was made the manager of the Porsche design studios and the following year he showed off the Porsche 901, which was later renamed the 911.

Source: Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, designer of Porsche 911 dies aged 76 - Telegraph

FAP to his mates.

Comment

Although six years into extra time isn't bad, these days 76 seems relatively young to die if it was of old age.

Maybe he should be buried in a Porsche 911
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Professor Porsche was the creative brain behind the one of the world's most iconic sports cars which went on sale in 1963.

Despite being nearly 50 years old, the 911's design has only ever evolved and is still unmistakable from the original model.

A statement from the German company confirmed Professor Porsche, grandson of company founder Ferdinand Porsche, had passed away in Salzburg on Thursday aged 76.

The German designer, nicknamed Butzi, joined the family company in 1956 where he worked in the technical design department.

In 1962 he was made the manager of the Porsche design studios and the following year he showed off the Porsche 901, which was later renamed the 911.

Source: Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, designer of Porsche 911 dies aged 76 - Telegraph

He had the best job in the world: didn't lift a bloody finger in 50 years. "Sorry, guys, I've been down the pub. Just build it like last years model. Yeah, the same as the year before. And the year before that... I'm off to the pub."

If only I could find a contract like that.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

The Beetle came first though, so he didn't even design one car. Just copied an existing one and gave it a bigger engine to make it sporty.

I guess it was Ferdinand Porsche Senior that built the tanks for the Nazis.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            He had the best job in the world: didn't lift a bloody finger in 50 years. "Sorry, guys, I've been down the pub. Just build it like last years model. Yeah, the same as the year before. And the year before that... I'm off to the pub."

If only I could find a contract like that.
            Where's Nomadd?
            He's down the pub and he said build this years like last years.
            No bloody way, that was full of bugs that's why we fired the old wino.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And who didn't build military stuff at the time? Building tanks was one thing but building gas chambers to murder people was totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Where's Nomadd?
                He's down the pub and he said build this years like last years.
                No bloody way, that was full of bugs that's why we fired the old wino.
                Ah, the risks on onshoring, I'm afraid.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  The Beetle came first though, so he didn't even design one car. Just copied an existing one and gave it a bigger engine to make it sporty.

To be fair, he provided a lot of work for stability control designers, who have spent many many years trying to overcome the basic design flaw of having all the weight hanging out the back.
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Working...
                  X