• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police Remove Ant-War Protest Banner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Remove Ant-War Protest Banner

Police State!

Police have removed placards from peace activist Brian Haw at the scene of his five-year vigil outside Parliament.
    Officers went to Parliament Square in the early hours of Tuesday to deal with alleged breaches of Mr Haw's demonstration conditions.

Mr Haw, 56, from Worcestershire, said he will fast in protest at the action.

Earlier this month Court of Appeal judges overturned a ruling that allowed him to carry out his protest, which he began in June 2001.

Mr Haw said: "It seems I am going to die in this place now because I'm going to be fasting and praying.

"They have left me with just one placard. All of my personal belongings have been taken and dumped in a container along with nearly all the displays.

"They have completely destroyed all the expressions of people who opposed the war in Iraq.

"What gives them the legal right to remove 40 metres of evidence of genocide and reduce it to just three metres?"

Police overpowered two supporters who had climbed on top of a metal container at the side of the square to blow whistles and wave a banner declaring 'Freedom of expression over political repression'.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said officers removed the placards at 0235 BST over claims that Mr Haw had continually breached conditions of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005.

She said: "This action follows a number of requests to the applicant to adhere to the conditions, which he has failed to comply with."

The legislation bans unauthorised protests within a 1km zone of Parliament Square and requires any permitted protests to cover no more than three metres.

It was brought in last year with the specific intent of forcing Mr Haw to abandon his post.

But so far, it is only placards that have been moved, not Mr Haw himself.

It is understood that any decision on eviction may be decided at Bow Street Magistrates' Court next Tuesday when he will face allegations that he breached protest conditions.

In the meantime, Mr Haw plans to petition the Law Lords directly in an attempt to take his case further.

Mr Haw has slept in Parliament Square among a large display of anti-war banners, placards and flags, many presented to him by well-wishers.

But such a permanent fixture proved an irritant to his neighbours in the House of Commons.

It was only a matter of time.

Just wait till the media are banned from reporting this kind of news (please don't say it won't happen - it soon will).

I will be in London sometime next fortnight and think I will go and see Mister Haw, and give him some moral support - unless he's been carted off.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

It's a damned disgrace.
      I don't see that he was doing any harm.
      It was a heavy handed use of the legal system.

Government should be man enough to allow protest.

Police state anyone?
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

He's clearly barking mad, but a breach of the SOCA? Has Bliar completely lost the plot?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

BTW hadn't realised we were at war with the Ants.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

He should be beheaded.

Comment

A fecken disgrace alright! That fecker should have been moved on years ago!

How come we never see morons like this guy protesting outside the Zimbabwe HC (I guess it is hard to be in two places at once AND he's bound to get more press coverage outside parliament ).

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                A fecken disgrace alright! That fecker should have been moved on years ago!

How come we never see morons like this guy protesting outside the Zimbabwe HC (I guess it is hard to be in two places at once AND he's bound to get more press coverage outside parliament ).

Mailman
                You Prat! He is not protesting about Zimbabwe going to war is he?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Sorry LG but I disagree with you this time.

I think common sense at last prevailed here.

I frequently remark upon how much the Police, our judiciary and our civil service are becoming more and more politicised under nasty & deceitful New Liebour.

I welcome that this chap was able to mount a protest and an extremely visible protest. But come on he's been there for what ... well over a year ? The last 6 or 7 times I've driven round Parliament square since last August his vast array of placards and banners have been there. A real eye sore that would have been fine for a few weeks, but not indefinitely.

He made his point a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    You Prat! He is not protesting about Zimbabwe going to war is he?
                    How convenient!

Its quite apparent that morons like this guy are only ever interested in protesting against soft targets. Where was this fecker during the Chingalings shoot up in Beijing, where was this fecker during the forced removal of farmers from their lands in Zimbabwe, where was this fecker when Kennedy got shot by the FBI?

If this guy really was interested in the children being murdered by islamic terrorists around the world we would see him protesting in front of as many embassies as possible around London.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X