• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rented Accommodation - Expenses For Utilities & Incidentals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rented Accommodation - Expenses For Utilities & Incidentals

I am renting accommodation to be closer to my temporary work place.

I put the rental costs as well as main utilities (Gas / Elec / Council Tax / Water) through my limited company as expenses.

Can I also claim for TV Licence / Phone and Broadband / Sky TV - all of which I have in my primary residence ?

Can I also claim for £5 personal incidentals when I am renting ?, or for the occasional meal out ?

Hope someone in a similar position can help

This question gets asked a lot on these forums. Doing a search would help your cause by showing you actually put a bit of effort in first and may be more willing to help. Also do you have an accountant, this would be your best first port of call.

Are you giving your main residence up or renting it out or will it stay empty?

When you say

Can I also claim for TV Licence / Phone and Broadband / Sky TV - all of which I have in my primary residence ?
    Are you talking about taking the services on at your rented accomodation early? From the way you put this it looks like you are trying to claime the services at your main place which quite obviously you cannot do.

Have a look at the SJD and Nixon Williams websites and also the newbies guide on here. All the places have very details guides on what you can and can't claim
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks - I've done lots of searches, but there are lots of contradicting advice. Just looking for a definitive answer (if one exists).

Any additional utilities, e.g. broadband and sky etc will be in additional to my main residence, which remains the family home

Comment

Originally posted by claretfan View Post
        Thanks - I've done lots of searches, but there are lots of contradicting advice. Just looking for a definitive answer (if one exists).

Any additional utilities, e.g. broadband and sky etc will be in additional to my main residence, which remains the family home
        There is a definitive answer, it's been stated many times. Put it this way; do you have to watch television as part of your business?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So.... the same could be said for electricity to light the rented accommodation or to run my radio !

Comment

So.... the same could be said for electricity to light the rented accommodation or to run my radio !
            Have they got those in Burnley?

Comment

Yes it could. Ditto food and clothing. The £5 covers the odd coffees and papers, that's what it's for. Strictly speaking (which, sadly, is how Hector looks at such things) only the rent and your evening meal is a business expense.

But hey, if you don't like the asnwers, don't ask questions.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And remember, it is still coming out of your pocket in the long run. All you are saving is the tax.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As you can't be arsed just click here
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Im in a similar situation and I have searched , I've even asked my online accounmtatn but not sure they have have everything correct.

I am about to take a room in london as I am working here for 4 months.
                    I know I can claim for the room ( it will be in my ltd co name) .
                    I know I can't claim for a telly or lunches or dinner.
                    However I cannot work out if I can still claim incidentals like ... washing powder , new bedding , towewls etc or the £5 incidentals ( no reciepts required )

I have searched and just now looked at the nixon qwilliams site too.

Is anyonw doing similar and what are you claiming?
                    help appreciated.
                    Jay

Comment

Working...
                    X