• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Third speeding ticket in six months!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third speeding ticket in six months!!

Getting worried now....

Just got the NIP, this is madness, I'm scared of even going out in the car to the station now. Some points...

1. All NIPs from mobile cameras...

2. All just over the limit, ie not taking the piss.

3. From 1985 until my first NIP last Sept I never had anything, not even a parking ticket.

I took speed awareness for one, this takes me to six point's now, who knows what else in the post, I could have more to come. I'm not a boy racer, honest!

I'm seriously considering dumping the car and putting all the taxi's/trains/chauffeur even on the Ltd, (I believe you can get driving ban insurance!)!

OK, I sped, I'll take the fine, but the points thing makes things stupid from a work POV, I could end up banned in a day with all these mobile cameras, and then who knows re: getting about the country necessary in this game.

Rant over!

You dirty speedster you are!!!

Comment

I got two in three weeks last year. I took the speed awareness course for the first then had no choice but to take the points for the second.

The annoying thing was, the whole course banged on about how they concentrate on 30/40mph areas and the whole "If you hit me at thirty mantra, but I was caught by mobile cameras on a dual carriageway.

To be honest, if you're getting caught, you're a speeder. They allow 10% of the limit +2mph before issuing the NIP.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        I got two in three weeks last year. I took the speed awareness course for the first then had no choice but to take the points for the second.

The annoying thing was, the whole course banged on about how they concentrate on 30/40mph areas and the whole "If you hit me at thirty mantra, but I was caught by mobile cameras on a dual carriageway.

To be honest, if you're getting caught, you're a speeder. They allow 10% of the limit +2mph before issuing the NIP.
        The 2mph is at the discretion of the Chief Constable, and none of mine got this! Just the over 10%, but at 30mph who can tell between that an 33mph? Eff me....

Both my 30's where 35mph, fair enough, fine me but don't take my livelihood away - no way was I doing any more than anyone else on the the road, yes I know I broke the law, and I do watch my speed honestly, but staring at the speedo in a 30 while it's just over, is it 35 who knows, cos it's inaccurate at low speed, watch the road or watch the speedo?

Anyway - my fault, I'll take the rap no option but I do wonder why after 30 years or so of driving with no NIP's I get three in rapid succession? Could it be more revenue earning cameras? This is effectively taxing people off the road and into the benefit system. Tossers!

Perusing ban-insurance webbies, interesting factoids...

5 million people have points on their licence

1 million are just ONE conviction away from a ban

A quarter of all households have a driver with points on their licence

There are 9 different types of speed traps and potentially a 10th which the papers are describing as "big daddy"

Revision of the Road Safety Bill could see the current 3 points per offence increased to 6 - which means you could lose your licence after just 2 offences, or even in a single journey

That last point - eff me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          The 2mph is at the discretion of the Chief Constable, and none of mine got this! Just the over 10%, but at 30mph who can tell between that an 33mph? Eff me....
          Crikey. Which county is this in?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Getting worried now....

Just got the NIP, this is madness, I'm scared of even going out in the car to the station now. Some points...
            You have my sympathies.
            These police officers have nothing better to do.

Comment

I've only ever had one from a handheld lasergun and that was on a road that was 50mph but I didnt know it had changed to 40mph as they hadnt finished putting up the signs. I could have fought it in court as it was a little unfair, but that would waste more than the £60.

You can get gizmos that detect radar and laser but they are questionable if caught using one and on laserguns, sometimes dont let you know early enough ....

The best way to avoid tickets is to be an alert driver and know your environment. If I am driving in an alien place, I wont let my speed go above the limit at all and if in doubt, go a little slower.

So in my area, I know the 14 spots that they rotate the mobile camera and handheld traps on. Bam, down the road, I know they park in a parallel road after the gatso near the hill brim. Further towards the supermarkets, I know they hide in the layby just before the stationary camera pointing down the road hiding under a tree.

On the motorway, I know their undercover vehicles, so I dont blast past the white 2002 volvo with no aerial on top at all, the midnight blue 2006 suuped up astra or the black range rover. I know the pedestrian bridges they like to hide on, the police patrol laybys and the areas they hide in under looped junctions, so my speed is adjusted before they even see me. I know as well the cameras on the side hidden in the bushes and what each one is looking for, so much so that if I wanted to steal a car, I could get out of the area undetected as I know all the local monitoring posts.

Look at all these things when you're driving around. When you're on the motorway and see an undercover pig, make a mental note of it. Make a mental note of the areas the police like to frequent in your area. They dont just pick a random road, they often have roads and spots which they know brings in a lot of revenue. You arent the only person to speed in a random spot, they pick that spot as everyone creeps a little over the limit as the hill is steeper than they thought.

Comment

Go below 30 mph and you'll soon have an idiot on your arse and a tailback behind him and generally become a menace, a few miles an hour more and you risk getting done, which is easily done when in unfamiliar territory when looking out for signs and whatnot. It's a fine line we tread.

Comment

Legally everyone is allowed a 3% discrepancy in speed to account for inaccuracy in speedo units, regardless of county. So legally, you can speed at 30.9mph, but 31mph is speeding.

Other limits are completely at the discretion of the officer and the county force. Lancashire hates speeders, my mum got nailed for 33mph one time.

Comment

The Speed Awareness Course I went on (which was actually very good) which was in North Yorkshire but it applies to all regions.

I was done in South Wales, North Yorkshire and now West Yorkshire on my doorstep.

Comment

Working...
                    X