• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel double booking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel double booking

So it's Easter Saturday 2pm afternoon and the manager of the hotel I've booked has just told me that the room I've already paid for has been double booked and given to somebody else. Besides having the room refunded, what else can I do? Do I have any legal protection? Can I sue the hotel? Forgodssake it's Easter Saturday, where else can I find a room for this weekend?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    So it's Easter Saturday 2pm afternoon and the manager of the hotel I've booked has just told me that the room I've already paid for has been double booked and given to somebody else. Besides having the room refunded, what else can I do? Do I have any legal protection? Can I sue the hotel? Forgodssake it's Easter Saturday, where else can I find a room for this weekend?
    Explain that he needs to find you accommodation, and until he's done so you'll be waiting in his lobby. Then set up camp in a prominent position. Bonus points for leaving luggage in a position where it isn't actually hazardous to other people, but still causes inconvenience.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Explain that he needs to find you accommodation, and until he's done so you'll be waiting in his lobby. Then set up camp in a prominent position. Bonus points for leaving luggage in a position where it isn't actually hazardous to other people, but still causes inconvenience.
      I think that it is reasonable advice. I have been in similar position myself and I got the replacement. Best of luck!
      If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Only 's use the term 'sue' when trying to sort our a minor dispute.

You could try ringing your mummy.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can I sue the hotel?
          Yes, but you will most certainly lose because I bet their terms of sales were such that they can change their mind like this without any penalties so long as they give refund.

Comment

If a hotel or travel company have overbooked (which is common practice to allow for late cancellations), they have a responsibility to outbook you to a nearby hotel of the same or a superior standard to the one you had already booked. They are also expected to absorb the difference in cost and, if the error doesn't come to light until you arrive at the hotel, they are also liable for your transport to the hotel you have been outbooked to.

Your rights...
            You do have the right to refuse the alternative accomodation booked for you if it is of a lesser standard to that you had paid for and you can also refuse the cash compensation if you can prove that it doesn't account for the difference in the room rates.
            I'm sure they'll sort it out for you. What about the honeymoon suite?

Comment

just find another hotel and if it costs more, invoice them the difference. That's what a contractor does.

Maybe if you told us where you were, all of us could help. For example, anywhere in the Nw or London and i can find you a place straight away.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. This was supposed to be a private Easter booking , not for work. The manager could not find any alternatives, either at the hotel or anywhere else as it's all booked in the area for Easter. Eventually I got the refund back and decided to go back home. It's sad, I'll take revenge by leaving a negative review on the booking website. Done and dusted. Have a nice Easter.
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

stek also got double booked - 3 points each time.

Comment

I vaguely recall hearing that in the event of a double booking, hotels are obliged to find you accomodation at no extra cost.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X