• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portuguese (the language, that is)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portuguese (the language, that is)

Anybody speaks fluent or decent Portuguese here? I can understand Spanish and Italian already. How long would it take me to speak decent Portuguese if I study, say, 2 hours a day? How different is Brazilian Portuguese from the one spoken in Portugal?

My plan is to start sending speculative applications to Brazilian employers to then obtain a working visa.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

I think if you cut down on your posting on CUK by 50% you'll learn 3 foreign languages in no time.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      My plan is to start sending speculative applications to Brazilian employers to then obtain a working visa.
      I wouldn't bother. By the time you get there they'd have given your hotel room to someone else.

Comment

Anybody speaks fluent or decent Portuguese here? I can understand Spanish and Italian already. How long would it take me to speak decent Portuguese if I study, say, 2 hours a day? How different is Brazilian Portuguese from the one spoken in Portugal?

I suspect the oral part of it will be hard - you will probably need lessons from a native speaker. I can speak/read Spanish, and if I read something in Portuguese I can normally understand or get the gist of 80-90% of it. However the strange pronunciation makes it very hard to understand someone who speaks Portuguese.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Each to their own, but I find Portugese and Spanish horrible gabbly languages to listen to.

It probably isn't that hard to learn and understand them in written form though.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

All though the Brazilian economy is supposedly doing well; I don’t know if you have noticed the vast numbers of Brazilians who are coming to work in the UK. They vary from fat cleaners who are most un-hygienic to entrepreneurs. I chattered with some who opened up a business in Bournemouth (loads of Brazilians there) they said they came here because they were fed up with the high levels of corruption and crime Brazil. .
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Admittedly it was just a TV program, but apparently Brazil is a popular destination for Portugese, in the TV program they were saying they were quite happy there. Brazil is up and coming so it probably would be a really interesting place to go for a while. My experience is once you live in a country you pick up the language quite quickly, much easier when you´re there. If you put your mind to it and you already have a background you should be able to speak reasonably within 6-12 months .
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

you should go and be a 'perma-tourist' - i.e nip over to Uruguay/Paraguay every three months for a day. I don't think you can be an illegal immigrant over there just 'irregular' - to which you can pay a fine and nothing more is said.

and get a feel for the place, cheap language courses, intercambio etc etc.

I would say to get a job from a Brazilian company in the UK - they will sort out the endless bureacracy, queues, paperwork, petulant civil servants and the general fun of leading the foreigner on a merry dance.

having said that - just save money here and have fun there, forget working!

Comment

Working...
                X