• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to stop lattop switching wireless networks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stop lattop switching wireless networks

Damn you windows and corporate laptop.

I'm sitting in the Garden (as is the privelege of a contractor), beer at my side, working. But this damn laptop keeps picking up someone else's' (i dont know where those damn things go. Thats CSE's for you) WIFi so the VPN keeps dropping.

How can I stop this.

Useless of Cardiff.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Originally posted by MrsGoof
    Damn you windows and corporate laptop.

I'm sitting in the Garden (as is the privelege of a contractor), beer at my side, working. But this damn laptop keeps picking up someone else's' (i dont know where those damn things go. Thats CSE's for you) WIFi so the VPN keeps dropping.

How can I stop this.

Useless of Cardiff.
    Its in your connections settings love. You should be able to put networks in prefered order with a default.

Right click the little wireless icon on the task bar and it will have a display available networks and have a mooch around the options there.

If I was using my lap top I would give you all the instructions but alas I am at work.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Depends on how your lappy is configured. You should be able to go into the wireless setup and remove any but your preferred conection.

start>setting>network connections>wireless network connection

Click on the advanced button

In the panel that comes up there is a box marked "Preferred Networks"
      You should be able to see all the networks the lap top has tried to connect to. Use the remove button to delete the ones you dont want and then close the panel. That *should* stop it trying to connect to networks other than your own.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

done that, even removed others from the list, but after a whille (an hour or so) it finds em and then decides to switch.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

there must some config setting somewhere that configures the searching

Comment

In which case the problem is probably that it can't maintain the connection to your network from where you are and when it loses it it latches onto the nearest available signal. Try moving closer to the router if you can or just a differant spot in the garden. WiFi can be odd about coverage sometimes. Just moving 6 inches can make a difference.

Try facing a different direction, the orientation of the arial in your lappy can make a difference as well.
            Last edited by DaveB; 23 May 2006, 13:24.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm not convinced it's a signal quality issue to my router as it worked OK untill the other router appeared.

Cheers anyway, looks like it's gonna rain soon, so back indoors.

TA

MG

Comment

Double click wireless connection status on the task bar, click properties on the opened window. Go to wireless networks tab and you will see a list of all available networks. My network is the only one set to connect automatically all the others are set to manual connection.

Not sure if thats your answer but mine never changes network.

Comment

disable the wireless zero configuration service.

You may also want to configure your wifi settings to connect only to access points (rather than ad-hoc networks). It's in 'Wireless Network Connection Properties' 'advanced'. Then you won't get naughty people trying to associate with your laptop and trying to do stuff they shouldn't...

Last edited by ratewhore; 23 May 2006, 14:45.
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

change the frequency on the router to another number think 7 is usually it. alternatively log onto the other router that if it isnt secure and turn off their router.
                    Gerrrrrrrrrraaaaaaardddddddd. Wot a Hit son, what a hit!

Comment

Working...
                    X