• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for contracting for a UK company, residing in Canada,

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for contracting for a UK company, residing in Canada,

Hi there,
    I quit a permie IT PM job in the UK mid-Feb and moved to Canada. Initially intended contracting in Toronto and went for a few agency f2f interviews - nothing really come of it.

Now have an opportunity to work for my old employer in the UK. The situation will be I work a few weeks remotely in Canada, then a few weeks on-site in the middle east, then rotate back. I won't go to the UK at all (will participate in phone calls and log in to systems).

I need to invoice for the work I do and think the most obvious is to form a Canadian Incorporated company (equivalent of a UK Ltd). I'll be speaking to a local tax accountant tomorrow and from there I imagine I'll set up the company, bank account etc and get on with it . . .

So, before I agree to the contract and speak to the local tax accountant, does anyone have any advice on the legal setup or on the complex nature of this (UK Citizen, Canadian resident, work executed in Canada and the middle east)? Does it set any alarm bells ringing? I have the option of refusing the work and continuing to look for local contracts.

Cheers,

Your citizenship is irrelevant. There is no need whatsoever to factor in anything to do with the UK.

Residency is all. You need to get this sorted out on the basis of Canada/Middle East.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Your citizenship is irrelevant. There is no need whatsoever to factor in anything to do with the UK.

Residency is all. You need to get this sorted out on the basis of Canada/Middle East.
      Agree with NaT - your UK citizenship is irrelevant. If you're not resident here and not working here then you don't need to factor in the UK at all, just talk to your Canadian accountant about Canada & the Middle East.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks both for the replies, will talk to my accountant ant take it from there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 200 View Post
          Thanks both for the replies, will talk to my accountant ant take it from there . . .
          How is Canada btw? Have seriously considered moving there a few times, what's the job market like? Did you wait for PR then move??
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
            Agree with NaT - your UK citizenship is irrelevant. If you're not resident here and not working here then you don't need to factor in the UK at all, just talk to your Canadian accountant about Canada & the Middle East.
            Given he left the UK mid-feb is it not the case that he is likely to be UK resident (and still ordinarily resident) until the end of this new tax year unless a P85 has been submitted ?

Comment

portseven - I got PR then moved. The job market here is pretty flat. I'm finding recruiters and agencies to be pretty unresponsive even when I match the profile. I've applied for a few permie roles and the application seems to go nowhere. I had 4 f2f with agencies in one day a few weeks ago and little resulted from it.

I read that 80% of permie roles are unadvertised here and that having an internal reference is the only way to get in. I've also been told they have a much more conservative hiring culture and like applicants to meet all of the requirements. They also take a while to evaluate applicants - no quick decisions here.

I was in London before and found recruiters to be fairly aggressive and proactive (i.e. making contact when finding a CV). It's nothing like that so far.

Things may be different in Calgary and Edmonton if you have an oil and gas background.

ASB - thanks for the tip re tax year / p85 - will check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by 200 View Post
                portseven - I got PR then moved. The job market here is pretty flat. I'm finding recruiters and agencies to be pretty unresponsive even when I match the profile. I've applied for a few permie roles and the application seems to go nowhere. I had 4 f2f with agencies in one day a few weeks ago and little resulted from it.

I read that 80% of permie roles are unadvertised here and that having an internal reference is the only way to get in. I've also been told they have a much more conservative hiring culture and like applicants to meet all of the requirements. They also take a while to evaluate applicants - no quick decisions here.

I was in London before and found recruiters to be fairly aggressive and proactive (i.e. making contact when finding a CV). It's nothing like that so far.

Things may be different in Calgary and Edmonton if you have an oil and gas background.

ASB - thanks for the tip re tax year / p85 - will check that out.
                There seems to be two oddities here...

First it is pretty widely accepted that F4F with agents is a complete waste of time over here and can't believe it is much different over there, even for permie roles. The only time it is really worth going to an agent is if he is a proper headhunter and you are a bit unique so he knows the right pitch.

Also you mention agents over here being aggressive and proactive. Again this isn't the norm for recruiters unless they are sure you are fit for the bill and even then I wouldn't call them working for their buck being proactive. Making contact when they get your CV is either because you fit the bill perfectly (but rarely) or to tap you up for contacts.

I would think maybe a different approach to agents and not give them any credit whereever you are. If they are going to make a sale they will be on you, if they aren't I am sure they are pretty much the same. Forget them and do the legwork yourself IMO. It isn't until he can see some money coming his way do they add any value.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X