• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He is either a liar, a moron, or being badly misreported

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is either a liar, a moron, or being badly misreported

Chancellor says he has found that some of Britain's richest people have regularly paid 'virtually no income tax'

George Osborne 'shocked' at level of tax avoidance among wealthy | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Hopefully the latter, although my money would be on the first 2. He needs to say what he is going to do about it and then actually follow it through. Problem then is Dave and George would probably fall within whatever new legal measures are put in place. They are doing themselves no favours at the moment are they.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      Hopefully the latter, although my money would be on the first 2. He needs to say what he is going to do about it and then actually follow it through. Problem then is Dave and George would probably fall within whatever new legal measures are put in place. They are doing themselves no favours at the moment are they.
      They will do nothing, and there are far too many vested interests there to make sure they don't grow a conscience on the matter. (Im thinking of companies like KPMG, PWC and all the legal professions that make their power from walking through the loopholes)

If we set taxes at an arbitrary low figure of no more than 15-20% per head for all with 500% fines for those caught cheating, and then destroyed the whole of the last 500 years of tax law I am sure the benefits would be staggering but then there would be vast swathes of accountants and tax lawyers on the dole...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Chancellor says he has found that some of Britain's richest people have regularly paid 'virtually no income tax'

George Osborne 'shocked' at level of tax avoidance among wealthy | Politics | guardian.co.uk
        Maybe he doesn't take as gospel everything in the Daily Mail, and was shocked to find some of what they print is true!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

More evidence that the Tories are out of touch.

Don't blame me ..........
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

"He is either a liar, a moron, or being badly misreported"

All of the above?
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Liar and an idiot - capping donations to all charities is total BS: if he wanted to prevent people from "donating" to their own foreign charities then just only allow UK Registered charities to be recepients.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                More evidence that the Tories are out of touch.

Don't blame me ..........
                WHS

Tax evasion only started once the Torys took power. Before then the mega-rich and the corporations were all paying their fair dues into the countries coffers

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  They will do nothing, and there are far too many vested interests there to make sure they don't grow a conscience on the matter. (Im thinking of companies like KPMG, PWC and all the legal professions that make their power from walking through the loopholes)

If we set taxes at an arbitrary low figure of no more than 15-20% per head for all with 500% fines for those caught cheating, and then destroyed the whole of the last 500 years of tax law I am sure the benefits would be staggering but then there would be vast swathes of accountants and tax lawyers on the dole...
                  Bob - for once I agree 100 and if you are advocating that approach then I think it would be a start. I have a slight concern about what we are going to find to occupy all the displaced HMRC folk

Comment

Shocked!

Comment

Working...
                    X