• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emptying the garage.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emptying the garage.

We are in the process of getting a new garage built, hopefully sometime in May.

Prior to this we need to empty all the previous owners' shee-ite from the current garage.

We did quite well over the weekend and it's so easy to get rid of stuff in Tottenham , just stick it outside the garage door on the pavement and within 5 mins there were Roma and misc locals asking if they could help themselves.

So off they went with misc metal work, old light fittings, china ash trays, perspex sheets, couple of old doors, wooden deck chairs, a seized vice.

Funniest thing we saw was some woman with her hands full with the deck chairs. One wouldn't close properly.

So out of 3-4 car loads of stuff, we only had to take one load to the tip, the rest just got absorbed into the local eco-system.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I remember living in Bruce Grove near Tottenham ,right by the police station

On the plus side there were plenty of decent takeaways and it was cheap to live

What worried me was all the police signs asking for witnesses for a stabbing especially as you got closer to Seven Sisters

I never saw any violence beyond feral youths throwing fireworks at cars and pedestrians but it was hardly reassuring

Has it got better these days ?
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      I never saw any violence beyond feral youths throwing fireworks at cars and pedestrians
      Says a lot that you don't really count that as violent behaviour.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        No blood, no foul

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I remember living in Bruce Grove near Tottenham ,right by the police station

On the plus side there were plenty of decent takeaways and it was cheap to live

What worried me was all the police signs asking for witnesses for a stabbing especially as you got closer to Seven Sisters

I never saw any violence beyond feral youths throwing fireworks at cars and pedestrians but it was hardly reassuring

Has it got better these days ?
          I live near Broadwater Farm and have lived there for 2.5 years, even during the riots last year we never saw any violence near the house, only knew it was happening from the TV, and the fact that the police chopper was up 24/7 for a few days.

Enjoy living here and bar 1 car break-in 18 months ago its very quiet.

Better VFM property wise, considering I got a 4 bed house with garage and garden for the same price as a 2/3 bed flat in Finsbury Park where we rented previously.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Prior to this we need to empty all the previous owners' shee-ite from the current garage.

We did quite well over the weekend and it's so easy to get rid of stuff in Tottenham , just stick it outside the garage door on the pavement and within 5 mins there were Roma and misc locals asking if they could help themselves.

So off they went with misc metal work, old light fittings, china ash trays, perspex sheets, couple of old doors, wooden deck chairs, a seized vice.

Funniest thing we saw was some woman with her hands full with the deck chairs. One wouldn't close properly.

So out of 3-4 car loads of stuff, we only had to take one load to the tip, the rest just got absorbed into the local eco-system.
            But now they all know you must be making room for a load of newer stuff ..
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I tried reporting it to the police when it was going on right outside the police station but they weren't interested. Either they couldn't be bothered or they were too scared who knows

But yes you do become desensitised to violence, hence why I moved somewhere slightly less urban
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

It seems a loaded skip seems to bring out all the local scavengers

Had the same when we were doing a clear out before moving abroad, just when we thought we'd under estimated how big a skip we needed, out came the local "scrap" merchants and pretty much cleared out the skip.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  But now they all know you must be making room for a load of newer stuff ..
                  The motorbikes won't be mobile once the concreted ground anchors are in, and they are in Devon until the garage is complete, and the car is fully immobilized so will keep my eyes open for someone pushing it down the road, actually the handbrake won't go off or move into drive gear until the ignition is enabled, so even pushing it won't be possible.

Lets face it, if someone is committed and knowledgeable enough to getting something nothing will stop them, you just have to do the best you can.

Quite often its a case of out of sight out of mind.

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Had the same when we were doing a clear out before moving abroad, just when we thought we'd under estimated how big a skip we needed, out came the local "scrap" merchants and pretty much cleared out the skip.
                  Different around here, it brings out the fly-tippers to fill your skip at your expense. Grrr!
                  Last edited by Scrag Meister; 10 April 2012, 14:11.

Comment

Have the same level of service here. anything that needs to go gets put on the roadside with for a sale sign on it and its gone in minutes. Doesn't work unless they think they are nicking it though

Comment

Working...
                    X