• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

overdraft fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overdraft fees

Surely those who pay huge percentages in overdraft fees should be grateful to the banks for pointing out how stupid they are?

care to elaborate?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Whats an overdraft?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        care to elaborate?
        Spending more than you earn is a sure way to misery. One should live within ones means. The banks are doing people a service by pointing the way to happiness in a format that the masases can understand.

Plus I enjoyed the quote from the book I read last - "Sh*t my dad says". I intend to model myself on that guy now.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Whats an overdraft?
          Apparently it is something that affects stupid people. I doubt you will find any of those on here.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Apparently it is something that affects poor people. I doubt you will find any of those on here.
            Humm.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Apparently it is something that affects stupid people. I doubt you will find any of those on here.
              Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Humm.
              I would say an overdraft is a sign of bad financial planning (stupid) rather than lack of money (poor).

I got myself into a lot of debt, including a heafty overdraft even though I was earning a good permie salary, and given the fact that at the moment no bank will give an overdraft to anybody with no money
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                I would say an overdraft is a sign of bad financial planning (stupid) rather than lack of money (poor).
                I think you'll find a lot of people get into serious financial trouble after a dramatic change in circumstances such as divorce, bereavement or serious injury preventing them from working.

Comment

Good financial planning means you typically have little in a current account, therefore it's easy to stuff up.

Example 1 - I had written a cheque A for £1000 from account A and I paid in a cheque B for £2k to account B before cheque A was cashed. The money showed up on Account A immediately but I couldn't move it until it cleared, 3 days later - in the meantime cheque B was cashed and I ended up overdrawn since I don't keep that much floating in the current account.

Example 2 - I knew my credit card was near the limit before we went on holiday and wanted to make sure we had credit available abroad. So I made an additional payment of a few £k. Only to find they didn't automatically take this off the balance, but proceeded to try and take the full amount from my account which was now empty after paying out several £k... hence my credit card company tried to charge me for failing to pay them, and my bank tried to charge me for a failed payment.

The more carefully you plan things, the easier you can stuff it up... keeping all your cash in one account would be far easier
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Good financial planning means you typically have little in a current account, therefore it's easy to stuff up.
                    No, that's not good financial planning - that's being very very stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X