• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toys - PDA etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toys - PDA etc

When I get time between visiting massage parlours I want to keep my ED s/w business going while on contract so will need a new laptop.

I can choose that but not sure what decent mobile email/internet solutions there are around these days. Think linking to my ancient Nokia 7110 with InfraRed is getting a bit old hat. Someone said I need green teeth or something? Any ideas?

Also any suggestions for decent PDA? I used to like the Psion 5, as it had a fair keyboard, would swap files like excel/word with PC easily, was very configurable, had programming language and lots of free/cheap applications. What's the nearest equivalent currently?

Lastly, a replacement for a Maestro Van, no on second thoughts, I will only get suggestions for posh rubbish like BMWs, Alpha Romeos etc from likes of dim or theaded.

PDA

xoggoth, if you want I can sell you on the cheap the PDA that I got but never used it: its Compaq iPAQ H3870 --- 64MB of ram, bluetooth, 64K Colours High Reflective TFT and lots of other features -- run a search for the model to get details.

I can also ship with it portable keyboard that can be connected to it via infrared.

Run a few search on ebay and make me an offer.

Comment

keyboard

The keyboard is this one -- www.pocketop.net/

Since its infrared its actually possible to use it with other PDAs or even mobiles (so long as they are supported). The keyboard is not full size, but close to it.

I never got to use it just like PDA, would give both into good hands for reasonable price

Comment

Re: keyboard

Ok, I will check it out as long as you certify it is not infested with MOUSTACHE!!!

PS There's one on eBay for 99p. Sounds a bargain.

Comment

ebay

Its 2 days to go -- these days people snipe a lot on ebay so price does not change until the end.

I have not used it more than couple of times -- I got new job requiring to drive to it next week I had PDA, so there was no time to use it. Previously I used Sony CLIE 710 in train, great PDA that was, until it was stolen

If you are going to get PDA I highly recommend getting portable keyboard as well because stylus bullcrap is way too annoying.

I think my PDA takes CompaqFlash as expansion -- this memory is well cheap these days, its easy to get plenty of storage on it. I think I've got box for it somewhere here too.

Comment

Re: ebay

I love PDAs....

I had two IPaq 3970's - but I broke the power connector on one and sold the other to a friend. I still have the mobile phone jacket for the IPaqs (works with any sim) and a camera / camcorder jacket.

I had two I-Mate PDAs (Generic XDA II's) - I gave one to a friend and promptly spilt red wine on the other that went 'pffft' and died. Its cheaper to buy a working one on eBay than have it repaired.

At the moment I have a Orange SPV M2000 with slide out keyboard. Couldnt live without it - It has Skype for Pocket PC on it and I have a Jabra 250 headset and a sync-n-charge usb cable. I plug it into any PC that has an internet connection, or use a wireless connection, and chat for free to other Skype users, or 1.2p a minute to any landline in the world. Its also handy for videoing embarrassing moments

Comment

pdas

I think I bought into PDAs and that fancy TI-89 calculator because of nostalgy -- I wish I had these toys back when I was young when I had to use this instead -- www.rk86.com/frolov/mk-61.htm

Comment

Re: pdas

Funny, I've always found pen and paper works best.

Comment

You can still write????? That's another regular exposed as not really being an IT contractor.

Comment

I use a laptop and connect to the web via GPRS on my Orange SPV C500 using either the usb connection or Bluetooth.

The 'phone alone allows you to check email etc. using outlook. The screen is clear and quite large. It takes Mini SD, mine currently has 1 gig of storage. it runs windows and is a mini PDA as well as a 'phone. Free from Orange on contract...

Spod.

Comment

Working...
                    X