• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday story

I hope EO does not sue for copyright infraction

Following http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1523877 , I was reminded of some of the great times I had while working for the MOD.

I remember my security briefing where we were told that a fleet of Russian tanks might be in the local woods (how would they get there without being seen?). But most took security as a complete laugh. The apprentices held an annual contest to see who could gain entry with the most outrageous thing instead of a pas. The winner the year I was there was a cheese and onion sandwich.

Along with us scientists were a few engineers. Some were really stupid. One guy sand blasted clean a test rig, then stuck an engine in there without cleaning all the sand out and Rolls Royce were very cheesed off that their multi-million pound engine was wrecked.

But the worst engineer was Graeme. He dropped his son off at the train station while it was raining. Wipers on. Sun comes out. He can't work out how to turn off wipers. Instead of stopping and fiddling he drove home - destroying the wipers.

One day Graeme accidently left a locker unlocked. Polite note from security. Graeme writes "f**k off. have you nothing better to do" and leaves note on top of cabinet. The following day he was up on disciplanry.

Of course some took security seriously. I tried to sell a car - I only had work phone number. Someone called Saturday morning. Security picked up - went out and bought local paper. Prepared a case so I was up on disciplinary. I was handing in my notice anyway.

Not so lucky was the security guard who was enjoying a quiet cuppa one night. The sas were asked to test how secure our perimeter was. They got a whole team over in 5 seconds then jumped security! poor geezer nearly had a heart attack.

Someone did camp in the woods inside the establishment for 6 months undiscovered.

Anyway, enough tales from 1984/85 RAE Pyestock. But I regret they have built a bypass through it and apart from being used in the film Sahara it is dormant. May they find a good ue for it soon.

I might move onto telling tales from 1986 Fort Halstead. If it winds up NLUK enough.

I was at RAE Farnborough in the 70-80's. If I told any tales from my time there I'd end up in the Tower.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

nice one BP
      Security is taken very seriously in most MOD establishments. I knew a bloke who left a firing pin on a table in the local civvie pub

he got done for a piece of the breech

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        nice one BP
        Security is taken very seriously in most MOD establishments. I knew a bloke who left a firing pin on a table in the local civvie pub

he got done for a piece of the breech

SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Working...
        X