• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Enforced Speed Limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Enforced Speed Limits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5009058.stm

Transport for London (TfL) has said it is working on a system which could automatically reduce a vehicle's speed.
    But TfL said the Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) scheme is only being considered for public vehicles such as buses and taxis.

A spokesman said at first the scheme will alert drivers, via technology such as a satellite navigation system, that they are moving into a new speed zone.

He added ISA could help in reducing road deaths.

"We have met the government target of reducing casualties on the roads by 40% by 2012," TfL's spokesman said.

This proposal is ill thought out, expensive and dangerous

Roger Evans
    "They mayor now wants us to hit a target of 50% and ISA is one of the ways we are looking at to achieve this."

But the London Assembly Conservatives said if ISA is introduced every car entering London would need to be adapted, potentially at cost to the motorist.

The party's transport spokesman Roger Evans said: "This proposal is ill thought out, expensive and dangerous. We have real fears that accidents may result from car engines cutting out during manoeuvres.

"Drivers must be able to trust their vehicles at all times," he said.

But the TfL spokesman said at the moment they are not being considered for private vehicles.

"We are working on the theory that if you have enough vehicles like buses and taxis on the road travelling at the correct speed, then this will force other vehicles to move at the same speed."

TfL hope to carry out a trial of the scheme, possibly at the beginning of next year, involving 10 vehicles.

Yep, give New Lie another term and all vehicles will be limited to 20 MPH in the name of "fairness".

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Yep, give New Lie another term and all vehicles will be limited to 20 MPH in the name of "fairness".
    In many parts of central London that would be a significant speed increase.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Yes, I look forward to overtaking with plenty of time to pull back in before that lorry hits me head-on, and then my speed limiter cuts in...

Comment

half arse vicious cr@p

So lets introduce a system that prevents conventional road deaths but introduces a whole new type.

Why can't these fv ck witts go the whole hog and develop an auto drive system, I'd more than welcome a system that does all the driving for me so I can snooze, watch a movie or work on a trip irrespective of the speeds involved. A system that coordinated all the journeys in a town would decrease journey times, reduce stress, make unproductive time productive and satisfy their self avowed goal of reducing road deaths. Maybe this is a non starter because it doesn't satisfy a key need in the liberal scum i.e. they wouldn't be inflicting their will and producing suffering for others. For these fetid sh1ts the whole point of everything they do is making their pet hated class of people suffer any good that is done is either a by product or a good excuse.

Liberals I sh1t'em.

Comment

years ago I had the misfortune of owning a Ford Fiesta which had its immobiliser cut in whilst doing 80 in the fast lane - it is not pleasant. Good job the seats were not cloth and could be wiped clean.

The big trouble with TfLs scheme is when drivers leave London and they don't get those reminders about the speed limit after being so used to them. It is a known fact in the aircraft industry that because of auto-pilot that when things do go wrong although rarely the pilot has often not got quick enough reaction to cope after relying on automated systems for so long.

Comment

With the number of unemployed roughly equal to the vehicles cars in London the government could get them to walk in front of the vehicles waving a red flag.
            HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by vista
              ..... I'd more than welcome a system that does all the driving for me so I can snooze, watch a movie or work on a trip irrespective of the speeds involved.

That's called a "train".

Comment

Funnily enough there was a documentary on TV some years ago with some American bods experimenting with that idea, i.e. cars being controlled automatically so they lined up behind each other when going down the motorway.

Edit: a short clip for anyone interested, 01:30 onwards shows the cars driving themselves.

http://www.path.berkeley.edu/PATH/Pu...th-VideoV2.ram
                Last edited by Joe Black; 24 May 2006, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Funnily enough there was a documentary on TV some years ago with some German bods experimenting with that idea, i.e. cars being controlled automatically so they lined up behind each other when going down the motorway.
                  Yes, I remember that, but the idea there was that the cars could all go faster.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                    years ago I had the misfortune of owning a Ford Fiesta which had its immobiliser cut in whilst doing 80 in the fast lane - it is not pleasant. Good job the seats were not cloth and could be wiped clean.
                    Could a Fiesta ever actually make it to 80 ? rather you than me !
                    I would have thought the wipe clean seats were well used if you were regularly tanking it up to 80 in what can only be described as an instable piece of crap on wheels

Comment

Working...
                    X