• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thames Water

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thames Water

Thames water has sent me forecasted annual bill saying they will charge:

Water 275 units @ 87.61p
    Waste water 275 units @ 49.27p

My good friend who lives in same court has 207 unit on his bill. We both have same number of family members (wife + infant). I wonder why has Thames Water sent higher units to me and charging more.

On top of this, they direct debited entire annual charge in one transaction, even though they I have opted for monthly debit. When I called them up, had to wait for 11 minutes on call to speak to advisor, lady said it happened due to system error and I need to claim back the amount via my bank. Why do I need to go via my bank? She said If I am complaining for higher units then I better a meter installed.

I would call it stealing money from my account. Had I not have good bank balance then this one debit transaction would have cost me fortune, yes fortune.

What are your views on getting a meter installed?

Many thanks!

Hello Wilmslow . How is childline?

Comment

At least with a meter you only pay for what you use.

Comment

Tried a meter with Thames water.
        Their average use calculation is laughable. (compare it to other published statistics).
        They installed a metric meter and then charged me for an Imperial one (4 times as much).
        They were totally inept at resolving this.
        They were quite rude about the whole thing.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Tried a meter with Thames water.
          Their average use calculation is laughable. (compare it to other published statistics).
          They installed a metric meter and then charged me for an Imperial one (4 times as much).
          They were totally inept at resolving this.
          They were quite rude about the whole thing.
          That's cos they is owned by Aussies mate.

You whinging pom.

Comment

When I was single and living in Devon I was grateful to have a meter, £15-20 pm, but I really did notice when I used to have my kids come stay for a few weeks in the summer.

Now with Thames Water and I am not on a meter and its £41 per month, for 2 adults and a 16 year old, basically same as yours.

There must be an efficiency cut-off 1 person meter definitely better, 2 people is prob borderline, but still in the meter good zone, but 3 or more I would think meter def not good.

Unless you live in Bridgewater and only shower once a week. In which case being on a meter is good upto 20 people per household.
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 13 April 2012, 11:00.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Doesn't everyone install a bypass circuit in their water supply pipe these days ?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by rdglad View Post
                Why do I need to go via my bank?
                Cos it's a direct debit. So you need to use the direct debit guarantee to get the money back. Then cancel it so they don't get paid in future.

In general the best approach with these companies is to tell them you want to make a formal complaint. Then do so. If they don't deal with it to your satisfaction you can then contact the relevant regulator or arbitration service.

Start here:

Our complaints procedure - If you're unhappy with our service - Thames Water
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                X