• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a gig below usual level for the hell of it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a gig below usual level for the hell of it

Have been doing Enterprise architecture for the last few years and it's pretty good.

But I quite fancy for a bit of a change taking a short gig doing something 'below my pay grade' like a rollout engineer or printer maintenance

Anyone ever done this just for the hell of it???
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

It sounds appealing - less responsibilities = less stress as long as you can take the rate hit

The trouble will be dealing with the incompetents who will now be above you
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      Have been doing Enterprise architecture for the last few years and it's pretty good.

But I quite fancy for a bit of a change taking a short gig doing something 'below my pay grade' like a rollout engineer or printer maintenance

Anyone ever done this just for the hell of it???
      Question is why?

Sometimes a no brainer type job can be appealing, but after a while I assume the novelty would wear off, being treated as if you only know the noddy tasks by jumped up PM's.

If you are benched why not offer your services to a local charity or something
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Question is why?

Sometimes a no brainer type job can be appealing, but after a while I assume the novelty would wear off, being treated as if you only know the noddy tasks by jumped up PM's.

If you are benched why not offer your services to a local charity or something
        Because sometimes it is just more enjoyable. I'm a BA now but only because all the Bobs have taken the roles I used to do and I get paid more anyway. Got contacted to go back to a previous client as a senior developer a couple of years ago. Jumped at the chance of doing a 'proper' job for a bit. Something like a holiday I suppose. Turned into one of my more enjoyable gigs.

And it was on a higher rate.

Comment

I took a COBOL maintenance job once because it was both local and paid very well.

After 2 years I felt I'd gone stale and wasn't doing anything creative any more.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

No but i have often thought about applying for jobs well above my knowledge just for the hell of it, if i could blag my way in, and whats the worst that can happen, they sack you,

Actually scrub that, its what i have been doing all my life

Comment

Wouldn't do it for long - couple of months maybe, as others have said see it as a bit of a holiday.

One gig I did a few years ago, I was lead architect on a EPOS upgrade for a national chain. When it came to rollout, it turned out my daily rate was less than what the rollout engineering firm was charging, so I ended up doing a few of the stores, was great, involved a RAM upgrade along side the new OS and App. So involved hands on PC maintenancte type stuff.

Very enjoyable to take of the lead architect while I was doing that. Interesting seeing both ends of the project from initiation to a working store with the new software stack.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I know someone that went off to PM some building construction and sometimes goes and drives trucks as a break.

Personally 3 months off in the summer sounds better...
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I wouldn't take a boring gig since being bored is my main dread. I might take a raw coding gig for the enjoyment of getting my hands dirty.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                    I know someone that went off to PM some building construction and sometimes goes and drives trucks as a break.

Personally 3 months off in the summer sounds better...
                    Sockpuppet?

Comment

Working...
                    X