• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

nikon d50

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nikon d50

with the 18-70mm lens. does any member of the assembly have any experience of this camera? good/bad/indifferent? it's this or the canon 350d on the shortlist and so far, the nikon is frontrunner.

Nikon D50

I have this, it's a great combination.

That said, the old rule for SLRs applies just as much to DSLRs - the one that feels best for you is the best one for you.

Get in a shop, handle them both, choose on the one you like.

I like the Nikon because it is bigger and the buttons are in the right place for my fingers, for some people it feels like a great big clunky beast.

Also be aware that whatever you spend on body and glass to start you will spend as much again in 'bits' within one month. Fast 1Gb card £100, Cheap flashgun £150, cheap longer lens £150, cheap prime £300, cheap set of filters £100, cheap camera sac £70, cheap 1/2 decent tripod & head £70, cheap OK monopod £70.

Comment

My father has a couple (he runs a mobile event photography lab) and is always saying how much he likes them.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg
        I have this, it's a great combination.

That said, the old rule for SLRs applies just as much to DSLRs - the one that feels best for you is the best one for you.

Get in a shop, handle them both, choose on the one you like.

I like the Nikon because it is bigger and the buttons are in the right place for my fingers, for some people it feels like a great big clunky beast.

Also be aware that whatever you spend on body and glass to start you will spend as much again in 'bits' within one month. Fast 1Gb card £100, Cheap flashgun £150, cheap longer lens £150, cheap prime £300, cheap set of filters £100, cheap camera sac £70, cheap 1/2 decent tripod & head £70, cheap OK monopod £70.
        Yes, he should try them. PCWorld should have them on the shelf where you can fondle each one for a while.

I had the D70 which is very similar. It's a first rate camera. So is the Canon. Nikon reviews at www.NikonLinks.com. Also see www.PhotoNet.com.

You can buy cheap storage cards from 7DayShop e.g. decent 1GB CF card ~£15. I paid £73 for a high speed 2GB card from Davoom before the recent price drop. The D50 takes SD cards, which are a similar price. Filters are less necessary with digital. You will need a tripod for all but snapshots.

Comment

Just bought Mrs WC2 a Fujifilm S9500 - An excellent product
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

A friend has the nikon d50 slr, excellent camera, very similar to the
            cannon, but obviously this technology is constantly improving and
            most of the time newer is better, take a look at flickr.com for
            pictures taken with both cameras. Will take a little investigation,
            but the d50 is one of the things on the list of must haves.

Comment

Filters are less....

I agree this is the case for but you MUST get a UV or Skylight for every lens, fit it and leave it in place. A new filter is cheaper than a new front element when you scratch it.

On top of that you should go for Cokin style (Kood are cheaper and reasonable quality) adapters for each lens, Cokin style holder and 2 ND filters. I also have a circular polariser, a couple of ND grads a diffuser and a sunset grad - so far. I use 'P' size filters as there is no chance of vignetting with these when using multiple filters.

I also use High speed cards, the normal speed cards slow down very quickly, you have to shoot in JPEG to keep up any kind of speed for sports/wildlife but they are fine for portrait/still life/landscpe work.

Comment

Wish I could get a bloody polariser for my crappy digital compact. The thing is eternally suffering from flare.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

my ixus 500, always gets red eye

dunno why

lost a lot of good photos to red eye

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    my ixus 500, always gets red eye

dunno why

lost a lot of good photos to red eye

Milan.
                    Should've got one of these, Milan. It might be a bit more within your photographic capability level.

I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                    X