• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been successful in claiming back PPI on their credit card ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been successful in claiming back PPI on their credit card ?

I'm with RBS Mastercard (used to be RBS VISA but they forced a change of card) and like others I was mis-sold being informed that it was mandatory if I wanted to keep the card. When I attempted to cancel PPI years later they essentially told me that I would have to give up the credit card if I didn't pay PPI so I kept with the card which I heavily use.

So yes, it was mis-sold to me and I'll have difficulty proving that as it was done over the phone.

But still I want to embark on making a claim hence why I ordered years worth of credit card statements to see how much I could claim etc.

Questions to you guys (and please don't say "you stupid idiot etc. for accepting PPI in the first place) are:

a) have you successfully made a successful PPI claim with your credit card provider ??(in this case its also the bank that I have my current account with).
    b) when you cancel the PPI and make a claim, have there been any instances where the credit card company gave you a negative credit rating ? (I cannot have a single blemish on my credit score due to my work in finance).
    c) What are the pitfalls for making a PPI claim? have you got any tips on succeeding ? I note on the questionnaire that they ask you were you self employed / employed at the time of having the insurance taken out.
    d) what is the normal procedure for complaint. Do you just fill in the questionnaire on the RBS website and hope for the best ? I've noticed that there are many firms out there that think that they can 'help' you make a claim; are these firms to be avoided or used in the first instance ?

Any advice is much appreciated as they have seriously ripped me off, I never needed it in the first place, I got other credit cards with larger amounts on the limit and they've not required me to have PPI.
    Last edited by sbakoola; 14 April 2012, 09:39.

Is this a whoosh? PPI claim information on a contractor forum?

Comment

I know a guy that is doing PPI claims directly with RBS, I can text him and get a number if you like.

Comment

Surely mis-selling something is where someone convinces you of the benefits of something, which perhaps dont apply to your circumstances, and later you realise that you didnt actually need this something.

You didnt want it, you were told you must have it, you carried on, later you tried again to cancel it, again you were told you must have it, you carried on.

Had my bank told me this, I would have instantly opened up another account and closed this one. Thats because Im responsible for my finances and not the bank.

Comment

A catastrophe for the apostrophe.

I seemed to have went through life with home loans, credit cards and such without having to pay PPI, there was never any obligation to take this scam on and a quick 'no, not interested' was enough.

Personally I do not know why the banks have to give out on this, I cannot say "My home has not burned down, can I have the insurance money back".

Idiots and money I suppose.

Comment

10 or 12 years ago, it was the norm for "being asked" to consist of a pre checked box on a form and if you were diligent you noticed it on the bill and tried to cancel it. There was an obligation on the consumer to apply undue diligence in order to avoid being sold something they hadn't asked for. It was created by the banks as a sneaky way to make money out of their customers and they have, quite rightly IMO, been told that's not how business should be done.

I was going to try and claim for the instances this happened to me but going back through the old bills it became apparent I'd cancelled it as soon as i'd noticed it, so within a few months of getting the cards, and so could only claim about £50 and it wasn't worth the hassle.

This "well your stupid, you are responsible for your own finances and if the bank gets money out of you it's your fault" attitude is all well and good but ultimately if there is no trust in banks their business is dead in the water. Their fundamental purpose is to allow people who don't trust each other to trade via a trusted third party, and it's fundamentally stupid to give that role to an organisation that you have to keep a constant eye on to see if they are ******* you over behind your back.
            Last edited by doodab; 14 April 2012, 11:31.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              10 or 12 years ago, it was the norm for "being asked" to consist of a pre checked box on a form and if you were diligent you noticed it on the bill and tried to cancel it. There was an obligation on the consumer to apply undue diligence in order to avoid being sold something they hadn't asked for. It was created by the banks as a sneaky way to make money out of their customers and they have, quite rightly IMO, been told that's not how business should be done.

I was going to try and claim for the instances this happened to me but going back through the old bills it became apparent I'd cancelled it as soon as i'd noticed it, so within a few months of getting the cards, and so could only claim about £50 and it wasn't worth the hassle.

This "well your stupid, you are responsible for your own finances and if the bank gets money out of you it's your fault" attitude is all well and good but ultimately if there is no trust in banks their business is dead in the water. Their fundamental purpose is to allow people who don't trust each other to trade via a trusted third party, and it's fundamentally stupid to give that role to an organisation that you have to keep a constant eye on to see if they are ******* you over behind your back.
              doodab, I always had you down as one of the more intelligent posters on the forum, don't blow it out the water with that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                A catastrophe for the apostrophe.

I seemed to have went through life with home loans, credit cards and such without having to pay PPI, there was never any obligation to take this scam on and a quick 'no, not interested' was enough.

Personally I do not know why the banks have to give out on this, I cannot say "My home has not burned down, can I have the insurance money back".

Idiots and money I suppose.
                There is a difference between, do you want this sir, followed by no thanks, and what also happened, the hard sell (what if ou lose your job, illness etc)followed by "but you must buy ours".

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  There is a difference between, do you want this sir, followed by no thanks, and what also happened, the hard sell (what if ou lose your job, illness etc)followed by "but you must buy ours".
                  I take the view that if someone is trying to sell me something I do not take it, if I have a need for something I go out and buy it.

The hard sell does not work on me.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I take the view that if someone is trying to sell me something I do not take it, if I have a need for something I go out and buy it.

The hard sell does not work on me.
                    And what if, as happened to a lot of people (such as me) someone simply ticked a small box at the bottom of a form and sent you a bill for this thing you didn't want, you'd want your money back wouldn't you? And if someone told you that you had to buy Y when you bought X but it turned out they were lying? Would they have a case to answer then?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X