• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Workplace Bullying. Bully, bullied or take no sh1t!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workplace Bullying. Bully, bullied or take no sh1t!

Big outsourcing consultancy I am at the moment is an extremely political arena. My bull in a china shop approach and take ownership approach has really worked well here. Most managers wont take ownership for anything and every day consultants show no iniative and ask "What do you want me to do?" all the time. In this vaccuum I have come across some serious bullies and bullied.

Head of the project is a bully - telling his sub-ords things like 'I can do that in 2 minutes - why is it taking you so ffffing long' - another manager - screaming at a senior consultant to bring some equipment to his desk NOW you @#%$!!! and they seem to take it!!

One of my team has taken time off sick.On hearing my PM being given a hard time by another senior manager with comments like 'for such an intelligent person this is a ffffing disgrace' after she had got 'tougher' in her approach on my insistence she stood up and eventually said 'NO! and felt much better - the bullying stopped'

I have never been bullied in the workplace and my approach gives the impression that I am not to be bullied. In the one case where a senior guy lost the plot and bawled at me in front of 10 colleagues I took him quickly into a side office, closed the door, told him in no uncertain terms what his problem was and suggested that if he ever did that again he would be taking a taxi to hospital. Never happened again.

Is it just perms who get bullied and we dont because its our 'f-ck it! - its only a job approach"?

Something tells me you've been bullied

Comment

good fer you mf.

sometimes nothing else will do.

sp in *give better than i ever get* mode

Comment

No not at all - just had to step into a situation where some guy just went off his trolley at some other bloke.

They almost came to blows. Bloke was a right short arsed little @#%$ me and another guy just seperated them.

It was over some documentation for a client. I thought my line

"Stop being a couple of w@nkers and take it to the playground" was a classic

:rollin

Is this normal?

Comment

MF - You are a disguised permie chav and I claim my £5.

Comment

" MF - You are a disguised permie chav and I claim my £5. "

Eh?

Comment

Accenture?

Comment

I don't concern myself with such permie politics. Simply do a technical job 1000 X better than the nearest perm (which is not hard), write the invoices and cash the cheques. Kerrrching! Next question please?

Comment

Dimprawn - I shall add you to the bullied list then:rolleyes :rolleyes

Comment

Ive been pretty lucky in that Ive only ever worked with professionals who are here to do a job instead of here to protect their empires.

On the rare occassion that Ive had to deal with people who are marginally uninterested in helping move things along Ive been more than happy to refocus them by escalating issues to their manager (and if no luck to their managers manager). :rollin

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X