• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Idiot of the day award nomination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot of the day award nomination

Some store card debtors to be let off

She said: "It arrived on my mat completely unsolicited - a new-style card with a Mastercard logo and a welcome letter.
    "If you send someone a card marked 'Harrods, go spend', the temptation is massive to use it.
    "I would not have spent £5,000 on that card if I had not been given it, I certainly would not have applied for it."

She deserves a gong from CUK as idiot of the day but on condition that AtW does not claim it before the day ends.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Who is more stupid - those who used the card or those who supplied it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Who is more stupid - those who used the card or those who supplied it?
      Those who used it got £5k free money, not at all stupid. Those who supplied it win the stupidity award here.

Comment

Santander, and other banks, are sitting on a time bomb here. This went the rounds with Credit cards not so long ago, when another court said they didn't need the original docs, just something approximating them.

Can see this reopening a wound from them.

Serves them right, ruthless bastard bankers just put up their SVR 1% because they can. Puce with bloody anger with banks at the mo...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Those who used it got £5k free money, not at all stupid. Those who supplied it win the stupidity award here.
          That was the end result. But surely anyone with a brain cell expects to pay back money if someone lends it to you. Anyway, if anyone tries to give you money there is always a catch.

Comment

That was the end result. But surely anyone with a brain cell expects to pay back money if someone lends it to you. Anyway, if anyone tries to give you money there is always a catch.
            Me thinks someone is acting dumb, to get the free £5k.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
              Me thinks someone is acting dumb, to get the free £5k.
              I think I should be let off my credit card bill as I am dumb. And I can prove it. I post regularly on cuk.

Comment

I think I should be let off my credit card bill as I am dumb. And I can prove it. I post regularly on cuk.
                I think it is funny. Small print not being adhered to and all that. I once had a credit card that went from 9% to 33% overnight. Was told this was ok, if they informed me a few weeks in advance. I said Ihadn't received the letter, they said it was sent. No need for proof of sending or anything, just we sent it would do, so I didn't have to actually receive it, they just needed to send it: 'It's in the small print' they said. Paid off over the phone and never looked at again.

Quite poetic they should be fiscally raped by ignoring the small print...

Comment

I had a bit of a short-term credit crunch on my hands in the last month, when a few weeks ago an MBNA balance transfer letter appeared on my doormat offering me 0% until May 2013. I could have a transfer for 3.5% payable up front, or the cash for an up front payment of 4%. The card was sat in a drawer, had not been used for 15 months and had a limit of £14000.

I went for the cash offer & got £12750 in my bank account, paying a fee of £510 up front.

I could have withdrawn money from an ISA account or savings bond instead but I'm getting interest of 5% and would have incurred a penalty.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I had a bit of a short-term credit crunch on my hands in the last month, when a few weeks ago an MBNA balance transfer letter appeared on my doormat offering me 0% until May 2013. I could have a transfer for 3.5% payable up front, or the cash for an up front payment of 4%. The card was sat in a drawer, had not been used for 15 months and had a limit of £14000.

I went for the cash offer & got £12750 in my bank account, paying a fee of £510 up front.

I could have withdrawn money from an ISA account or savings bond instead but I'm getting interest of 5% and would have incurred a penalty.
                    Lets hope you don't have to mpay back a penny. It would help towards the wedding.

Comment

Working...
                    X