• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where should I go on holiday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should I go on holiday?

With BA probably taking over bmi this week, no-one is admitting what will happen to the frequent flyer miles. They may disappear, may get transferred to Lufthansa (doubt it), or transferred to BA's Third World programme.

I'm considering cashing them in now just in case and have a week in August with no kids. I have enough points to get myself mrsF anywhere in the world, probably in business or first class. With out being only for a week, we're ruling out places like Hawaii and Australia.

So, where should I try to get a flight to?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    With BA probably taking over bmi this week, no-one is admitting what will happen to the frequent flyer miles. They may disappear, may get transferred to Lufthansa (doubt it), or transferred to BA's Third World programme.

I'm considering cashing them in now just in case and have a week in August with no kids. I have enough points to get myself mrsF anywhere in the world, probably in business or first class. With out being only for a week, we're ruling out places like Hawaii and Australia.

How about South Africa? Cape Town's lovely, and in the same time zone (ish) so no jet lag issues.

Comment

Hawaii is great, been there twice while I was working in CA, rule it back in!

Comment

Sri Lanka,

Wonderful place, deserted beaches in the south of the Island, lovely people, great food, some top hotels, if thats your bag, but whats better, is that if you avoid the touristy places on the West and South West, it's pretty tourist free, but stilll magical. Tangalla, Matara and Hambantota (great Safari round Yala national park too - Leopards, elephants, mongoose, Asian crocs), Kandy isn't too far, nor some spectacular scenery, and temples.

Amazing place, and I think I have just talked myself into another visit...

Comment

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
          Hawaii is great, been there twice while I was working in CA, rule it back in!
          Not for a week, though. If I was flying from CA, then I would, but the last time we were there, it took a few days to get over the jetlag!!

We'll go back at some stage - another two weeks on Big Island would be fantastic.....
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
            Sri Lanka,

Wonderful place, deserted beaches in the south of the Island, lovely people, great food, some top hotels, if thats your bag, but whats better, is that if you avoid the touristy places on the West and South West, it's pretty tourist free, but stilll magical. Tangalla, Matara and Hambantota (great Safari round Yala national park too - Leopards, elephants, mongoose, Asian crocs), Kandy isn't too far, nor some spectacular scenery, and temples.

Amazing place, and I think I have just talked myself into another visit...
            WZMS

Highlight for me was mount sirigiya - where part of the save a prayer video was filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              How about South Africa? Cape Town's lovely, and in the same time zone (ish) so no jet lag issues.
              I suggested SA, but MrsF has (for some reason) never wanted to go.

Might be an option, though - although I think that SA flights are operated by Virgin which has a different points system.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                WZMS

Highlight for me was mount sirigiya - where part of the save a prayer video was filmed.
                Did you climb Sirigiya? Fecking hot on the day I did. Monkey stole a camera too. Stunning place though, and the views.

You can get north now too, and Anaradhapura and Trincomolee are real treats

Comment

Not for a week, though. If I was flying from CA, then I would, but the last time we were there, it took a few days to get over the jetlag!!

We'll go back at some stage - another two weeks on Big Island would be fantastic.....
                  Big Island is well worth a visit to Volcanoes National Park; we also drove our hire car all the way up Mauna Kea on Saddle road to the observatories which the hire car companies don't allow. Two weeks is a bit too long tho for the Big Island.

Comment

I vote for Ceylon too.

Kandy, hill stations, tea plantations, beach - cheap cheap cheap!

Tone

Comment

Working...
                    X