• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Many moons ago...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many moons ago...

I enjoyed cycling, prior to the theft of my bike 2004 - I'm now near MK, red cycle routes etc...

I used to own a Claud Butler - are they still any good or have they been bought by some Chinese washing machine manufacturer or someink?

I want to spend around £375 - £400 - yes I'm a contractor but don't feel the need to spend £2000 on something purely because it's £2000.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Tone

Personally I have a boardman. £400 via ebay. Highly recommended (the boardman and ebay).

Comment

Get yourself one of these...

The ideal bike for MK!

Comment

Trek 1.9, bought through the company. I think I paid around a grand for it after negotiating. Cracking bike, very light.

Lots of good carbons ones about now, for about a grand. Don't forget, this get's 20% plus 20% off, if bought through the company...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          Trek 1.9, bought through the company. I think I paid around a grand for it after negotiating. Cracking bike, very light.

Lots of good carbons ones about now, for about a grand. Don't forget, this get's 20% plus 20% off, if bought through the company...

Company vehicle?

I forgot about that!

Cheers!

Tone

Comment

Can charge 20p a mile too, no limit. I used to cycle to and from Farnborough from Reigate and pocket the £12 a day. Heady days

Comment

bluddy cyclists
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
                Company vehicle?

I forgot about that!

Cheers!

Tone
                I think he means the cycle to work scheme where you lease the bike from your company and can then buy if for a nominal value (£5 or something if I remember) at the end

The tax efficiency is what he says though, as it's paid out of net salary
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  I think he means the cycle to work scheme where you lease the bike from your company and can then buy if for a nominal value (£5 or something if I remember) at the end

The tax efficiency is what he says though, as it's paid out of net salary
                  No, I did mean purchase it through the company, as an asset. That way, you collect the VAT back, and don't pay Corp tax at £20% of the value of it, and it's a depreciating asset, so when you close your company after 3 or so years, it's value is nominal so you can keep it yourself.

A £1000 bike becomes £640 quickly, which then becomes under £500 a year or so later, etc, etc.

Comment

Any trouble with current client being 80 miles from home???

Tone

Comment

Working...
                    X