• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places for a Stopover in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places for a Stopover in France

Off on holiday Friday

Driving down to the French Alps. In no rush so plan to have a night's stopover somewhere between Paris and our destination (Annecy - which , according to the map is due south of Geneva & west of Lyon).

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Somewhere with a bit of history, nice square to sit out in and have a meal, decent hotel etc. Maybe Dijon or somewhere around there.

I stopped off at the etap near Lyon - perfecto

just visible from the motorway - A6 or A7 iirc
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Off on holiday Friday

Driving down to the French Alps. In no rush so plan to have a night's stopover somewhere between Paris and our destination (Annecy - which , according to the map is due south of Geneva & west of Lyon).

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Somewhere with a bit of history, nice square to sit out in and have a meal, decent hotel etc. Maybe Dijon or somewhere around there.
      Auxerre through to Dijon very nice. Some nice mall places too, like Chablis. My choice, it would be Auxerre; nice architecture, lovely city, can take a boat trip, great food.

Comment

Somewhere along the Loire valley would make a good stopover

When you hit the Alps make a trip to the French/Spanish border

Do a google, but if you drive close to the border theres a place you can walk over and pretty likely to see Marmots and Eagles, plus stunning views
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

dardilly (if ive spelt it right) next to lyon has some first rate camp sites.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Somewhere along the Loire valley would make a good stopover

When you hit the Alps make a trip to the French/Spanish border

Do a google, but if you drive close to the border theres a place you can walk over and pretty likely to see Marmots and Eagles, plus stunning views
            Italian, you meant, I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              Annecy
              Short bus ride to Genevé

Comment

Vichy.

Good mineral water.

Comment

Done it loads of times - I recommend Givry just outside Dijon. Fantastic rustic food and the local wine is just brilliant. I've done the stopover at Dijon as well and it's just another town tbh.

You want to eat here.
                  Last edited by Lockhouse; 17 April 2012, 15:01.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Dijon looks nice

About the right sort of place, or further over in the Jura hills somewhere. I remember staying somewhere round there, very nice.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X