• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan is Poisoning Other Countries By Burning Highly-Radioactive Debris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Er... that's somewhat silly.

Comment

I'm loving the instructions for the comments section

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Hard to quantify what danger
        100,000 Becquerel of radioactive caesium are found per kilogram
        poses, but a banana allegedly has 130 Bq/kg. So 100,000 Bq "radioactive waste" / kg is like 770 bananas / kg on this totally bananas scale. And you'd presumably have to ingest all the burnt ashes to compare to bananas too.

On the other hand not all radiation is not the same, but it's food for thought.

Caesium-137 has a half life of 30 years which makes it a bit dodgy. Radioactive iodine-131 (half life 8 days) will have petered out by now and we're on to the longer lived radioactive isotopes. Strontium-90 and Technetium-99 will be the next common isotopes seen after those events, after Ceasium-137, and the most dangerous ones to be concerned about AFAIK.

Banana equivalent dose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm inclined to think it's nothing to be concerned about, but don't stand downwind anyway.

Comment

are you saying that bananas are food for thought ?

I'll take two then.
          and a kebab

and definately dont stand downwind

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The Japs have been poisoning other cultures for decades, infecting the world with hatred, violence and paedophilia.

Any export, from their barbarous gameshows, to shoddy cars, to radioactive poison are all just as unwelcome in decent society.

Comment

But the UK is unaffected so thats okay then.

Comment

But the UK is unaffected so thats okay then.
                They won't let an opportunity like this pass. We have blue topped bins for recycling, grey topped bins for kitchen waste, green topped bins for garden waste. Soon we will get red topped bins for waste with 100,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium or over.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X