• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give a 'hoodie' a job, says Employment Minister Grayling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give a 'hoodie' a job, says Employment Minister Grayling

Mr Grayling (the employment minister!!!) is expected to say he wants "British employers [to] put local recruits first".

"It's easy to hire someone from Eastern Europe with five years' experience and who has had the get-up-and-go to cross a continent in search for work.

"But those who look closer to home find gems too. Very often the surly young man in a hoodie who turns up looking unwilling to work can turn into an excited and motivated employee.

"It's all about the expectations that they have and the place they come from. And employers who give them that chance find it enormously rewarding."

Source: BBC News - Give a 'hoodie' a job, says Employment Minister Grayling

oh FFS and this comes from the employment minister!!!

Disclaimer - Image posed by a model for dramatic effect, may not be related to the story linked above.
    Last edited by AtW; 18 April 2012, 14:53.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    ..Very often the surly young man in a hoodie who turns up looking unwilling to work can turn into an excited and motivated employee...And employers who give them that chance find it enormously rewarding."
    Bollocks

Comment

"It's easy to hire someone from Eastern Europe with five years' experience and who has had the get-up-and-go to cross a continent in search for work.

"But those who look closer to home find gems too. Very often the surly young man in a hoodie who turns up looking unwilling to work can turn into an excited and motivated employee.
      No No! I agree, Give the feckless wasters a chance, if they don't take it, then we go all Dalek on them
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

for gawds sake, is he trying to sell our youth or sell the economic immigrant?

I've totally lost faith in ministers, all of em...

what he neglected to say when he said "Having the GET UP AND GO to cross a continent" is the fact that thanks to our inflated exchange rate, its worth more than it is for our labour force to do the opposite.

I'm pretty bloody sure that if we had a 0.60p to 1 EURO exchange rate, a lot of our "yooth" would be going over to Holland , spain etc and doing labouring jobs there too.

I despair.

Comment

Hoodies - give the Employment minister an Education.

muppet!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            No No! I agree, Give the feckless wasters a chance, if they don't take it, then we go all Dalek on them
            Dalek? Is he from Croatia?
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

For some reason I feel like playing Assassins Creed.
              Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Give the hoodies a job at McDonalds' so that they can riot their own place. Simples!
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Some of you disagree, which I find sad and inexperienced.

Some young people, without direction, can become model employees. I feel some do need a chance.

Often what you find, is it is not the job, but the kind boss that moulds and encourages a sub par team member, spotting qualities in them they werent even aware of. I have seen quite a few 'aimless wasters', go on to be great professionals after someone was willing to invest the effort in to encouraging them to be the best that they can ....

However I will agree, excellent mentors still cant help everyone. Some are always going to be feckless wasters which is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    Some of you disagree, which I find sad and inexperienced.

Some young people, without direction, can become model employees. I feel some do need a chance.

Often what you find, is it is not the job, but the kind boss that moulds and encourages a sub par team member, spotting qualities in them they werent even aware of. I have seen quite a few 'aimless wasters', go on to be great professionals after someone was willing to invest the effort in to encouraging them to be the best that they can ....

However I will agree, excellent mentors still cant help everyone. Some are always going to be feckless wasters which is sad.
                    Bring back National Service, that'd sort 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                    X