• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marry yer cousins for N generations.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marry yer cousins for N generations.

According to something on the Today programme this very morn, this has become even more popular in certain circles than it was with their grandparents.

Up to 60 odd% from 50 odd%.

Very odd.

Almost as odd as the accumulation of recessive genes really.

I thought that practice was reserved for European royality?

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
      I thought that practice was reserved for European royality?

Tone
      Oh no no no..........there are large swathes of Somerset where this is the norm!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

List of coupled cousins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Darwin, Einstein, etc

Comment

not surprising down here one of the class years at the local school is populated by no more that 10 families for 30 kids !! they are nearly all related some how...

Comment

Prevalent amongst certain groups within major centres of Asian population in the UK.

It's causing sh!tloads of problems for the NHS.

Obligatory Daily Mail Linky

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Prevalent amongst certain groups within major centres of Asian population in the UK.

It's causing sh!tloads of problems for the NHS.

Obligatory Daily Mail Linky
              I saw that on the Wiki too:

A BBC report discussed Pakistanis in Britain, 55% of whom marry a first cousin.[191] Given the high rate of such marriages, many children come from repeat generations of first-cousin marriages. The report states that these children are 13 times more likely than the general population to produce children with genetic disorders, and one in ten children of first-cousin marriages in Birmingham either dies in infancy or develops a serious disability. The BBC also states that Pakistani-Britons, who account for some 3% of all births in the UK, produce "just under a third" of all British children with genetic illnesses. Published studies show that mean perinatal mortality in the Pakistani community of 15.7 per thousand significantly exceeds that in the indigenous population and all other ethnic groups in Britain. Congenital anomalies account for 41 percent of all British Pakistani infant deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I saw that on the Wiki too:
                There are quite a few insular, exclusive groups (where arranged marriages are common) that this relates to.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Interstingly, there's a book regarding inbreeding, called Inbreeding, Incest, and the Incest Taboo which recently came to state Scotland had a huge issue with Inbreeding in which close cousin marriage was proscribed on religious grounds by the Roman Catholic Church.

Interesting really, but I guess no surprise...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    not surprising down here one of the class years at the local school is populated by no more that 10 families for 30 kids !! they are nearly all related some how...
                    I think this is common in poor/deprived areas where families don't move around, especially with so many single-parent families as the parents split up and hook up with new people, or cheat, all in the same small area. My wife and other teachers in the NE have joked that a family tree at their schools would be a horrific tangle.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X