• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I were a lad

When I were a lad, travelleing on the plane was unheard of. We knew that somewhere there were people who were so rich that they could afford to fly, but not anyone I knew
    not anyone in my town.
    I had heard about this new 'package holiday' thing were people flew to Spain, and I had seen and heard planes flying over, but it was all mysterious and glamorous.
    Even the people on the soaps who flew out were never filmed in the airport or plane, they used to go out the front door with thier luggage, then turn up two weeks later talking about the flight.

We used to go on holiday in a boring old steam train. boring , boring, smokey, steamy and dull. Every kid wanted to be a train driver, but on a shiney new diesel, not a boring old steam train.

Nowadays, I hate flying. There is no glamour , the mystique has gone. There are even IT nerds stripping off to complain about the horrendous and stupid pocedures we have to go through to even get on a boring boring plane.

What wouldnt I give to travel around the country on a steam train. even europe. the world. to stand on the footplate and blow that whistle. fantastic

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Aye EO.

It used to be the case that package holiday meant the whole holiday was bought as one item.

Now it seems to refer to the way you treat the customer.

Surprised DHL aren't trying to get some of O'leary's pax.

Comment

I wish they would quintiple (at least) the "green" (ha ha) taxes - then I could get out of the annual (at least) trek to some foreign tuliphole demanded by her indoors.

Flying is a miserable game.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        When I were a lad, travelleing on the plane was unheard of. We knew that somewhere there were people who were so rich that they could afford to fly, but not anyone I knew
        not anyone in my town.
        I had heard about this new 'package holiday' thing were people flew to Spain, and I had seen and heard planes flying over, but it was all mysterious and glamorous.
        Even the people on the soaps who flew out were never filmed in the airport or plane, they used to go out the front door with thier luggage, then turn up two weeks later talking about the flight.

We used to go on holiday in a boring old steam train. boring , boring, smokey, steamy and dull. Every kid wanted to be a train driver, but on a shiney new diesel, not a boring old steam train.

Nowadays, I hate flying. There is no glamour , the mystique has gone. There are even IT nerds stripping off to complain about the horrendous and stupid pocedures we have to go through to even get on a boring boring plane.

What wouldnt I give to travel around the country on a steam train. even europe. the world. to stand on the footplate and blow that whistle. fantastic

Charabanc to Weston with a gallon container of scrumpy is what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          It used to be the case that package holiday meant the whole holiday was bought as one item.

Now it seems to refer to the way you treat the customer.

That sums it up very nicely.

I have done so much flying with work the last few years that the last thing I want to do when I'm on holiday is go to an airport.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Lots of things are miserable, not in themselves but because population has been allowed to increase too fast.

Comment

On my way home I have to go through Eastleigh Station and quite often during the summer there's the A4 Pacific "Dominion of New Zealand" on the other platform doing pleasure trips. It's just the most amazing sight, sound, smell etc. It puts a huge grin on my face.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

When I wer' a lad it was compulsory to wear short trousers at school purely so the sadistic teachers could hit you on the back of the legs with a cane or ruler! I still think they got a sexual kick out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Flying is a miserable game.
                  Depends which country you are talking about.

British airports are a nightmare due to the number of people using them at the same time. I always liked to use London City Airport where possible because it was easy to get to, the terminal was small and the check-in times were short. By 2008 it was getting severely overcrowded though which took the shine off things somewhat.

Believe it or not, there are countries where you can park right next to the terminal without having to pay a fortune, check-in takes no more than a minute, only a short queue at security and then a short walk to the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
                    When I wer' a lad it was compulsory to wear short trousers at school purely so the sadistic teachers could hit you on the back of the legs with a cane or ruler! I still think they got a sexual kick out of it!
                    Because you certainly did.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X