• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody been to Pompeii?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody been to Pompeii?

Thinking about where to go in the summer and always wanted to see Pompeii, maybe take a guitar and play a tune in the amphitheatre.

Never been to Italy at all so want to see a few other places while I'm there. I'd welcome any suggestions, experiences, abuse...
    Me, me, me...

I've been, but I was only about seven Still remember how scared I was at the bones sticking out of the streets
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      I've been, but I was only about seven Still remember how scared I was at the bones sticking out of the streets
      Just like Clydebank then...
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Visit Pompeii and Herculaneum in the same day. Both very impressive.

Stay in Naples -- it's a *very* cool city. Backpacker place called 6 rooms in the middle. Have a pizza on that long narrow pedestrian street next door. Drink a beer in the street at night and crowd watch.

Limit your time in Rome as it gets boring and crowded and expensive. Do the Colosseum as a tour (to skip queue) with the Palentine Hill too. Get an English guide if you can.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Visit Pompeii and Herculaneum in the same day. Both very impressive.

Stay in Naples -- it's a *very* cool city. Backpacker place called 6 rooms in the middle. Have a pizza on that long narrow pedestrian street next door. Drink a beer in the street at night and crowd watch.

Limit your time in Rome as it gets boring and crowded and expensive. Do the Colosseum as a tour (to skip queue) with the Palentine Hill too. Get an English guide if you can.
          Cheers Swamp!
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Both Pompei and Herculaneum are served by the Circumvesuviana Metro as is Sorrento which is also worth a visit.

One of the most amazing sights for me at Pompei was a Roman billboard advertising something really mundane like shampoo or something. Incredible both that the paint remained on the wall all that time and also amazing that they had ads at all.

Comment

Pompeii was excellent, too many stories to tell

but you WILL be able to play in the arena I was able to roam quite freely.

Naples was a dump, 10 feet of rubbish everywhere because the Mafia had organised a strike, but that was a good few years ago.

Watch out for the tolls, if driving, and the gasses billowing out of mountainside fissures, if you are driving around, very impressive. I stayed about ten miles out of town, and it was fantastic

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Pompeii was excellent, too many stories to tell

but you WILL be able to play in the arena I was able to roam quite freely.

Naples was a dump, 10 feet of rubbish everywhere because the Mafia had organised a strike, but that was a good few years ago.

Watch out for the tolls, if driving, and the gasses billowing out of mountainside fissures, if you are driving around, very impressive. I stayed about ten miles out of town, and it was fantastic

Thanks EO, still to be organised but a definite for this year.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Visit the Amalfi coast. Positano is beautiful, likewise Amalfi, Ravello and Capri.

In fact, what the hell am I doing in rainy old Blighty?
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    In fact, what the hell am I doing in rainy old Blighty?
                    Making lots of money and paying very little tax on it?

Just a guess.

AtW in a "Churchill" mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X