• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Places to Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Places to Work

Reading the thread about 'Grim Places to Work ' made me think how good I've got it at this gig.

- 7 hour day, home for 4pm.
    - Fantastic Gym
    - Relaxing atmosphere
    - Friendly colleagues
    - Costa Coffee bar with 50p Americanos
    - More fit totty than you can shake a stick at.

I think this must be in the 'Best Places to Work' I've ever done.

This place and perhaps Radbrook ten years ago.

Any more suggestions...?

Middlesex University was good at least half the IT were musicians or ex roadies (yup the tape swappers) and actively wanted contractors that would fit in, cheap food and parkland to walk through

Winfrith, a bit of shame that shut it down. Life was pretty cushy there, staff were friendly they were good times

Looking back most gigs have been pretty awful though
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      Reading the thread about 'Grim Places to Work ' made me think how good I've got it at this gig.

- 7 hour day - had that but was stopping away.
      - Fantastic Gym - check
      - concierge service that cost 50p regardless what you needed doing in town
      - Relaxing atmosphere - check
      - Friendly colleagues - check
      - Costa Coffee bar with 50p Americanos - wasn't costa but there was a "java cafe" in the middle of 3 buildings

- sandwich bar that you could order anything and you could only paid per inch
      - More fit totty than you can shake a stick at. - hell yeah

I've added ones that Ive had

Comment

Best place to work - home.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          +1

Next favorite place to be is in a data centre with no mobile phone access

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            +1

Next favorite place to be is in a data centre with no mobile phone access
            They are a bit too noisy these days but 10 years ago if I turned up with a bit of a hangover I'd head in there to take advantage of the aircon and lack of people.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

+ another

Aftrt a recent home based contract I decided to make working life more bearable. Step 1 was to bring in my own cafetière. I now see my morning coffee as a tiny joy rather than a corporate caffeine enema. Perhaps NLUK can find out whether this is a good IR35 pointer.

Comment

Am there at the moment.

Office VPN link on one screen, contractor uk on the other
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Am there at the moment.

Office VPN link on one screen, contractor uk on the other
                  + 1
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    + another

Aftrt a recent home based contract I decided to make working life more bearable. Step 1 was to bring in my own cafetière. I now see my morning coffee as a tiny joy rather than a corporate caffeine enema. Perhaps NLUK can find out whether this is a good IR35 pointer.
                    bringing your own coffee and cafetière is something that i have done for years, can't abide bad coffee, of which starbucks is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X