• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car engine cut out & crashed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car engine cut out & crashed!

Car had been off the road for a few weeks(one when I cycled to work), the second when I was away. When we got back, flat battery. It's the second time it had happened so I had the AA out to fit a new battery last night.

Jump in this morning and it starts fine, drive a few miles. Sounds like it needs a bit of oil, turn a corner albeit at about 10 miles an hour & all of a sudden the steering locks, the wheel won't turn and I go straight into a wall. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and was able to brake so no real damage. Then I notice that the engine has died!!!

I've parked up now. Is this related to the battery or probably just needed a longer run? If it does it when I'm going faster I could be in a lot of trouble???

Any ideas?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Car had been off the road for a few weeks(one when I cycled to work), the second when I was away. When we got back, flat battery. It's the second time it had happened so I had the AA out to fit a new battery last night.

Jump in this morning and it starts fine, drive a few miles. Sounds like it needs a bit of oil, turn a corner albeit at about 10 miles an hour & all of a sudden the steering locks, the wheel won't turn and I go straight into a wall. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and was able to brake so no real damage. Then I notice that the engine has died!!!

I've parked up now. Is this related to the battery or probably just needed a longer run? If it does it when I'm going faster I could be in a lot of trouble???

Any ideas?
    The steering "lock" could be due to power steering failing or a mechanical failure, or the actual steering lock engaging although that shouldn't happen. Has the engine seized or just won't start?

Either way don't get back in the car until it has a clean bill of health from a competent mechanic.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That sounds like an electrical fault and the power steering cut. Did the engine stop at the same time (I assume it did). The car shouldn't have stopped when underway. It could be the battery but my money would be on alternator or voltage regulator (if you have one).

I once had a V12 Jag that just cut out on me at 50mph and I lost all steering and brakes. I escaped with a small bit of damage to the door that I managed to repair with a dent puller but it was not something I want to repeat.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        The steering "lock" could be due to power steering failing or a mechanical failure, or the actual steering lock engaging although that shouldn't happen. Has the engine seized or just won't start?

Either way don't get back in the car until it has a clean bill of health from a competent mechanic.
        No, car restarted immediately when I turned the key and I was able to carry on, albeit sheepishly into the car park. Basically the steering locked, I broke(which was working) and I noticed the engine had cut out.

Comment

Any ideas?
          Ask a mechanic
          one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            Ask a mechanic
            Where do mechanics go when they cannot find out what's wromg?

Font_of_all_knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Call the AA.

Apparently they're the 4th emergency service.
              They fitted the battery last night.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Is it manual or automatic?

Diesel or petrol?

What car?
                Manual, Toyota Rav 4, Petrol.

Comment

Where do mechanics go when they cannot find out what's wromg?

Font_of_all_knowledge
                  Buy a new car.

HTH
                  one day at a time

Comment

Any ideas?
                    Sounds like the battery wasn't fully charged and couldn't handle the extra current draw to work the power steering and brakes. Happened to me two or three times with my previous carpy old jag, cutting out while turning sharp corners, but luckily I never crashed.

Mind you, if the battery was brand new, and you say you had driven a few miles already, that would tend to suggest something else is responsible (or that something is draining battery power).

Here's a tip, pay a couple of hundred quid for a lorry battery, and then you'll never have battery trouble again. That's what I've done.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X