• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have a rather large one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a rather large one

Simple me me me thread so tune out now if you like.

Bit of a story. The next door neighbour's wife is a bit disenchanted with men in general. They are useless layabouts in her opinion. I sit and listen to them ('er and SY02) belittle her husband and feel a bit sorry for him. Or at least I did.

A few weeks ago her car starts sputtering and running a bit rough. The RAC guy that recovered the car home said it was most likely a blown turbo. "Blimey" I thought. I was speaking to 'er next door about it, and it was a car that was bequeathed to her by her late father and she was sad to see it go. Beyond economical repair and all that. I asked her if I could hear it run. I listened to it, booted it a few times and drew the conclusion it was a failing injector. To confirm this (she was not convinced, cos the RAC man is always right ) so I got 'im next door to run it down to my local garage where I am on friendly terms with them. A tenner in the palm of one of the mechanics to test the car and give it a run and he confirmed my diagnosis. So I got 'im next door to bung some redex in the diesel filter and give it a bloody good run. It's running like new again.

So a few weeks later 'er next door's car throws a wheel bearing. RAC man recovers her car back home again. 'Im next door is now Eddy the expert on motors cos he "fixed" it last time. Anyways he starts waxing lyrical about how he's going to fix it with a hammer

"What's the hammer for mate?"

"Taking the bearing off, it will be on pretty tight"

So I talked him through the correct procedure for removing a wheel bearing and suggested he changed both sides at the same time. 'Er car has been a driveway ornament for the past month.

And you guessed it, 'er next door is back to all men are useless again.

This past week SY02's car when wrong, big time. And it's a flaming Volkswagen.

EGR valve borked. Inlet manifold flap actuator borked. Blown fuses. Running a tad rough. Quote from the garage over £700. Well seeing as I'm on the bench at the mo, and I can't wait to show 'er next door that not all blokes are useless I pull SY02's car to bits.

EGR valve cleaned and replaced. IMF actuator replaced (£175 + VAT). Fuses replaced. Then clear down the engine codes with my new toy, an engine code reader from ebay, only £25 but a handy tool to have in the drawer.

Haven't worked on cars in years, but used to be a bit of a hero haynes mechanic, engine rebuilds, transmission rebuilds etc etc.

SY02's car is running like a thoroughbred, and I didn't let the grass grow on this one either. So I am feeling pretty goddamn smug with myself at the minute.
    Last edited by suityou01; 22 April 2012, 09:15.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Bit of a story. The next door neighbour's wife is a bit disenchanted with men in general. They are useless layabouts in her opinion. I sit and listen to them ('er and SY02) belittle her husband and feel a bit sorry for him. Or at least I did.

A few weeks ago her car starts sputtering and running a bit rough. The RAC guy that recovered the car home said it was most likely a blown turbo. "Blimey" I thought. I was speaking to 'er next door about it, and it was a car that was bequeathed to her by her late father and she was sad to see it go. Beyond economical repair and all that. I asked her if I could hear it run. I listened to it, booted it a few times and drew the conclusion it was a failing injector. To confirm this (she was not convinced, cos the RAC man is always right ) so I got 'im next door to run it down to my local garage where I am on friendly terms with them. A tenner in the palm of one of the mechanics to test the car and give it a run and he confirmed my diagnosis. So I got 'im next door to bung some redex in the diesel filter and give it a bloody good run. It's running like new again.

So a few weeks later 'er next door's car throws a wheel bearing. RAC man recovers her car back home again. 'Im next door is now Eddy the expert on motors cos he "fixed" it last time. Anyways he starts waxing lyrical about how he's going to fix it with a hammer

So I talked him through the correct procedure for removing a wheel bearing and suggested he changed both sides at the same time. 'Er car has been a driveway ornament for the past month.

EGR valve borked. Inlet manifold flap actuator borked. Blown fuses. Running a tad rough. Quote from the garage over £700. Well seeing as I'm on the bench at the mo, and I can't wait to show 'er next door that not all blokes are useless I pull SY02's car to bits.

EGR valve cleaned and replaced. IMF actuator replaced (£175 + VAT). Fuses replaced. Then clear down the engine codes with my new toy, an engine code reader from ebay, only £25 but a handy tool to have in the drawer.

Haven't worked on cars in years, but used to be a bit of a hero haynes mechanic, engine rebuilds, transmission rebuilds etc etc.

SY02's car is running like a thoroughbred, and I didn't let the grass grow on this one either. So I am feeling pretty goddamn smug with myself at the minute.
    Well done. If you get a kick out of making other men feel inadequate, you could pop round and seal my bath. Have spent over £500 getting shower fixed, and still can't use it for want of a bit of sealant.

Comment

CUK has gone down hill. Not only is noone posting any more, even when Suity does post, it's so dull I can't even raise the effort to take the piss.

A dark day.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        CUK has gone down hill. Not only is noone posting any more, even when Suity does post, it's so dull I can't even raise the effort to take the piss.

A dark day.
        When did this happen????
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Good for you Suity. Mr C has always done this kind of thing (love the term hero Haynes mechanic! ) and it dismays him to hear people throw money away on even simple things like getting the garage to change the oil and filters.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

SY is my hero.

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Good for you Suity. Mr C has always done this kind of thing (love the term hero Haynes mechanic! ) and it dismays him to hear people throw money away on even simple things like getting the garage to change the oil and filters.
              Guilty as charged. But, in my defense, it seems to be cheaper to do that than buying the oil & filter from Halfords and doing it myself.

Comment

Woman next door is a Maltese, so a slightly different culture (which might explain why she borrows eggs, salt , potatoes, carrier bags etc and never returns anything)

she started chatting in the driveway and asked me to come in to look at her laptop, 'because I do something in computers'. I pointed out that is was programming stuff that I do , but she wouldnt let it go
                When I went into the house, there were two sons and hubby watching the telly!!
                I had a stab that the fuse in the power supply had gone, so hubby tells the missus where to find his screwdrivers, and leaves me to swap some fuses around

absolutely useless lazy fckrs

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Well done!

I thought that I had the last of repairing my own car 25 years ago but the garage prices have got out of all proportion; £40ph for a back street if you are lucky and £100ph for a main dealer not to mention they get it wrong with their diags. Often time for doing a job is doubled On one previous car: garage said that it had a blown turbo, it was in fact lose nuts, there are too many other example to list.

I have found it cheaper to buy the tools and DIY, this includes cam belts, injectors wheel bearings etc. The satisfaction of spending a hour and saving £200 in labour is well worth it

BTW. I found that Haynes can be wrong, go to the forums first.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    BTW. I found that Haynes can be wrong, go to the forums first.
                    But you are never wrong, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X