• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car broke down - RAC are crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car broke down - RAC are crap

Away in caravan in Weston-Super-Mare (big time, eh?). Bloody car breaks down Saturday night.

RAC fella comes out to take a look. Cant do it cos its dark. OK come back in morning I tell him.
    Turns up with the parts he reckons he needs (alternator belt) but reckons I gotta pay for the parts (fair enough) plus £25 service fee cos he reckons part place charged a call out fee.

So I phone RAC cos this is a new one on me. They cant tell me where in the t+cs it says I have to pay this fee but it says the cost of the parts. Nice one fellas.

So I go ahead anyway but not happy. Turns out alternator is siezed anyway so well done RAC, take the parts back fellas and no I aint paying for them.

So arrange for a tow home in the evening back to sunny wales. Truck turns up tell me I gotta pay £18 for truck on the Severn bridge toll!!!! Penny pinching RAC again.

Truck was a complete tip as well. Smelly, one of the seat belts didnt work, and to top if off driver was on his mobile for about 5 mins too.

Used to like RAC but they've pissed me off lately. Gone downhill a lot. Might be time to try the AA.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Away in caravan in Weston-Super-Mare (big time, eh?). Bloody car breaks down Saturday night.

RAC fella comes out to take a look. Cant do it cos its dark. OK come back in morning I tell him.
    Turns up with the parts he reckons he needs (alternator belt) but reckons I gotta pay for the parts (fair enough) plus £25 service fee cos he reckons part place charged a call out fee.

So I phone RAC cos this is a new one on me. They cant tell me where in the t+cs it says I have to pay this fee but it says the cost of the parts. Nice one fellas.

So I go ahead anyway but not happy. Turns out alternator is siezed anyway so well done RAC, take the parts back fellas and no I aint paying for them.

So arrange for a tow home in the evening back to sunny wales. Truck turns up tell me I gotta pay £18 for truck on the Severn bridge toll!!!! Penny pinching RAC again.

Truck was a complete tip as well. Smelly, one of the seat belts didnt work, and to top if off driver was on his mobile for about 5 mins too.

Used to like RAC but they've pissed me off lately. Gone downhill a lot. Might be time to try the AA.
    Go with Green Flag. I dumped RAC after they left me stuck, broken down for 2 hours with a three day old newborne baby in the car on a roundabout!!!

I dumped the AA after they left me broken down on the M5 in subzero temperatures for 4.5 hours, I was close to hypothermia when traffic police turned up and took me to the services 5 miles away. They then ordered the AA to recover me and the car immediately and directly to my home in Wales.

I'm a caravaner too and have been for 30 years
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Did he try and steal your wheels?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Weather was awful too.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

While I was on the IOM the fuel cut-out solenoid failed. The AA man put a note on the car for the traffic warden “Can’t move car due to back axel failure”. He came back next day with the part and fitted it for just the price of the part. He left the notice there so I could park for the rest of the day.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Go with Green Flag.
            +1

Comment

Funny that because I've heard bad things about green flag.

They only use local garages dont they and I've heard all they want to do is tow you back to their gaff and rip you off to repair the car.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Ask yourself this, WWSY01D?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Most breakdown these days is contracted out so if if your AA/RAC/GF you're still likley to get the local mob turn up.

Comment

Could you not have given SY01 or SY02 a call instead ?
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X