• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tips on Electric Gates - Design, build and install

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Electric Gates - Design, build and install

Anyone got any tips for electric gates as I'm going to have some put in later on this year. In respect to sliding versus swing opening, problems you may have had with yours, any "I wish I had known that" scenarios...

I'm planning on making and installing them myself so any pointers to designs and plans would be most helpful too.

TIA

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Anyone got any tips for electric gates as I'm going to have some put in later on this year. In respect to sliding versus swing opening, problems you may have had with yours, any "I wish I had known that" scenarios...

I'm planning on making and installing them myself so any pointers to designs and plans would be most helpful too.

TIA
    You must make sure that the hidden pit you build in front of the gates for unwelcome visitors is deep enough. I did mine to 50 feet and some people survived. Make sure it's at least 200 feet, smooth sides and at least an extra 50 feet of water. Laser equipped sharks are then not necessary.

hth

MF
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Convert the bridge over your moat into a drawbridge. That's what I did.

sas

Comment

Swing opening restricts the useable space, usually are not permitted to swing onto a public thoroughfare, be that pavement, footpath or road. Sliding means you have more useable space on any driveway but need sideways space for the gate to slide into.

We are in the process of getting a new garage built and have gone for a rollershutter door as this means the garage can go to the pavement and internal floorspace is fully useable.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

There are a fair few sets of these near my current client. I dont have a clue about installation, maintenance etc, but the swing ones look prettier and look like they would make a racket if anyone tried to scale them, the slide ones look ugly and they look easy to get over.

my side gate is bars of wrought iron that look a bit flimsy, but if anything, even a cat, goes near, they make more din than a skeleton having a w@nk in a biscuit tin

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think the slide gates look more industrial, imo. Much prefer the opening ones.

Comment

Don't bother. Had a new build flat with a swing gate that opened automatically on exit and a fob on entry. Always ******* broken so you had to get out of the car and force them open which made them totally pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                We are in the process of getting a new garage built and have gone for a rollershutter door as this means the garage can go to the pavement and internal floorspace is fully useable.
                Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking at rollershutter doors and extending our garages out another three feet - was there anything in particular you had to watch out for?
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking at rollershutter doors and extending our garages out another three feet - was there anything in particular you had to watch out for?
                  Had one of those to on another place which I highly recommend. No issues when the electric is on. One thing to watch out for was the spring mechanism which had a warning sticker on it but I'm afraid I can't remember what it said so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    ...they make more din than a skeleton having a w@nk in a biscuit tin
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X