• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places to stay near Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places to stay near Canary Wharf

For my new job I'm going to have to commute to CW each day. As I don't really know that part of London I figured I'd throw it open to you lot. What areas around there should I avoid? I want somewhere that would provide a fairly easy daily commute without costing the earth. I've seen plenty of places on rightmove for about 900 a month
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Try Mile End, Bow, Rotherhithe, Surrey Quays or Lewisham
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      For my new job I'm going to have to commute to CW each day. As I don't really know that part of London I figured I'd throw it open to you lot. What areas around there should I avoid? I want somewhere that would provide a fairly easy daily commute without costing the earth. I've seen plenty of places on rightmove for about 900 a month
      Most of them.

Around Canary Wharf there are some very nice residential areas that exist cheek by jowl with some of the most deprived parts of London.

I used to live right next to the Wharf (and I mean right next to it). I felt completely safe walking between the Wharf and home but if I felt the need to walk down to the local store in the evening I would not take my phone, wallet or cards and only have enough cash on me to purchase the items that I wanted.

To put that in context though, I was only robbed at knife-point once and most of the time I would just have to cope with being propositioned by heroin-soaked prostitutes looking to score enough for their next fix.

Unfortunately, if total safety is what you want then you will have to stay much further away and then you will likely run into transport issues. The Docklands Light Railway and the Thames Clippers are usually very reliable, the Jubilee Line isn't.

If it was me, I would live a short walk away (and I mean short). Don't go north of Aspen Way. Limehouse (on the south side of Commerical Road) will be reasonably pleasant and convenient.

I would imagine that you will only be staying there Monday to Thursday though so provided that you are near to a DLR station, or a pier for the Thames Clipper service you will probably be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Most of them.

Around Canary Wharf there are some very nice residential areas that exist cheek by jowl with some of the most deprived parts of London.

I used to live right next to the Wharf (and I mean right next to it). I felt completely safe walking between the Wharf and home but if I felt the need to walk down to the local store in the evening I would not take my phone, wallet or cards and only have enough cash on me to purchase the items that I wanted.

To put that in context though, I was only robbed at knife-point once and most of the time I would just have to cope with being propositioned by heroin-soaked prostitutes looking to score enough for their next fix.

Unfortunately, if total safety is what you want then you will have to stay much further away and then you will likely run into transport issues. The Docklands Light Railway and the Thames Clippers are usually very reliable, the Jubilee Line isn't.

If it was me, I would live a short walk away (and I mean short). Don't go north of Aspen Way. Limehouse (on the south side of Commerical Road) will be reasonably pleasant and convenient.

I would imagine that you will only be staying there Monday to Thursday though so provided that you are near to a DLR station, or a pier for the Thames Clipper service you will probably be OK.

Limehouse isn't as nice as it used to be.

It is true that most of the new built up areas are right near some iffy areas. Used to live in the iffy areas as a student and you did have to watch yer back.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          It is true that most of the new built up areas are right near some iffy areas. Used to live in the iffy areas as a student and you did have to watch yer back.
          I remember going to (what is now) the big Asda at Mudchute one day about twenty years ago. They made me leave my watch with them as security before they would let me have a metal shopping basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            I remember going to (what is now) the big Asda at Mudchute one day about twenty years ago. They made me leave my watch with them as security before they would let me have a metal shopping basket.

It wasn't that bad surely.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              It wasn't that bad surely.
              Twenty years ago it really was (it was before respectable people started moving into the area).

Students could get some nice new places in those days because no one else would live there.

Comment

Rainham or Purfleet would be doable get a C2C train, swap at barking or limehouse and tube it to a DLR

Apart from the usual yobs violence is pretty rare, it's more the odd drunken teenagers than anything

A world away from the really rough spots in London
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Isle of Dogs. Burrells Wharf. I stayed there for 6 months, very conveniently placed for DLR and the river bus stops outside. Has gym and pool. Anywhere round there will have dodgy places next door though. St David's is newer but probably more expensive. Should get a studio for £900.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Lots of permies seem to commute in from Greenwich and Blackheath into the wharf. DLR or Thames Clipper (from Greenwich pier) some of them even cycle in.

My London pad is in Canada Water/Rotherhithe - no problems with the area at all (low density housing and lots of green spaces) and a short (3min) ferry ride across the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X